Sign In   Register

Topic

Brakes 14 years 1 month ago #10464

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Just finished painting my disks black baked them in the oven. Why didn't you paint yours CJJ ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brakes 14 years 1 month ago #10465

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Just finished painting my disks black baked them in the oven. Why didn't you paint yours CJJ ?

I decided I like the authentic rusty look. :)

Brakes 14 years 1 month ago #10466

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
The results are in.

Went back to Kwikfit Ashington today and they tested the rear brakes post mod. Now bear in mind that they haven't had much breaking in, maybe 60 miles, but the results are pretty good.

Before the modification, with the standard 240mm brakes

After the modification, with the Focus ST170 280mm discs fitted

That is an increase of stopping power of around 60kgf with no other modification.

So the conversion gets :thumbsup: from me.

Over the next week I will try and fit the new EBC discs to the front and Greenstuff pads all round, bleed the brake system and get them retested next saturday.

Brakes 14 years 1 month ago #10468

As for your question about the fit of the disc on the hub, you can see the circle left on the hub from the old disc. So it doesn't fit snuggly.

Strangely enough, I put the centres of the old and new dic together and there wasn't much in it.

You can just see the new disc below the old.

Interesting. That means that if you can get a bigger disc with the correct PCD, then the centre bore isn't critical. OR, is the disc also located on the outside of the flange?
Will you check this on the fronts when you change them? I seem to remember that the centre bore was tight when I changed them, but I thought that about the rears as well:dunno: So what do I know!
David
:shrug:

Brakes 14 years 1 month ago #10469

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
The outside of the flange is a lot bigger on the new discs, so I don't think that makes much difference.

Brakes 14 years 1 month ago #10472

The outside of the flange is a lot bigger on the new discs, so I don't think that makes much difference.

I meant was the old disc located that way?:dunno: When you look at the inside of the flange drum of the old disc you can see shiny metal.
David

Brakes 14 years 1 month ago #10473

The results are in.

Went back to Kwikfit Ashington today and they tested the rear brakes post mod. Now bear in mind that they haven't had much breaking in, maybe 60 miles, but the results are pretty good.

Before the modification, with the standard 240mm brakes

After the modification, with the Focus ST170 280mm discs fitted

That is an increase of stopping power of around 60kgf with no other modification.

So the conversion gets :thumbsup: from me.

Over the next week I will try and fit the new EBC discs to the front and Greenstuff pads all round, bleed the brake system and get them retested next saturday.

Excellent. Looks like a worthwhile modification:yesnod:
David

Brakes 14 years 1 month ago #10474

:shake: i was really really hoping it didn't make any difference :frown:

now i really want them, apart from just looking better they actually improve the braking............ them rear discs all of a sudden are looking very worn :whistle:

so thats another thing on the list, thanks Clive :p

Brakes 14 years 1 month ago #10475

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

I meant was the old disc located that way?:dunno: When you look at the inside of the flange drum of the old disc you can see shiny metal.

I think it is a close fit, but I don't think it is essential to the working of it.

The brakes seem a lot better, especially on an emergency stop. God know what it will be like with the new pads and front discs. I think it will be face against the winscreen time. :)

Brakes 14 years 1 month ago #10480

Agreed :yesnod: Can I go get my two sets made up now :whistle: :lol:

Brakes 14 years 1 month ago #10481

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

so thats another thing on the list, thanks Clive :p

Anything I can do to make you spend more money mate. :)

Remember that I have the safety blanket of ABS. While I have no reason to think that there may be a brake imballance caused by this, my ABS would take over if the rears locked.

However, I have been braking VERY hard, in the wet, and the backend never broke free. This was a few 70 - 0 emergency stops. The ABS never came in either. I had to physically try to get the ABS to come on, just to make sure there weren't any problems. I also have 205 and 225 Toyos front and rear which will give a bigger contact area on the road.

While I am not trying to put you off, in fact quite the opposite, I am just saying you should fit and test it yourself before relying on it in an emergency.

Here is some reading if anyone is interested.

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/brakes/big_rear_brakes/index.htm

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/brakes/big_brakes/Big_Brakes.htm

Brakes 14 years 1 month ago #10490

Anything I can do to make you spend more money mate. :)

Remember that I have the safety blanket of ABS. While I have no reason to think that there may be a brake imballance caused by this, my ABS would take over if the rears locked.

However, I have been braking VERY hard, in the wet, and the backend never broke free. This was a few 70 - 0 emergency stops. The ABS never came in either. I had to physically try to get the ABS to come on, just to make sure there weren't any problems. I also have 205 and 225 Toyos front and rear which will give a bigger contact area on the road.

While I am not trying to put you off, in fact quite the opposite, I am just saying you should fit and test it yourself before relying on it in an emergency.

Here is some reading if anyone is interested.

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/brakes/big_rear_brakes/index.htm

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/brakes/big_brakes/Big_Brakes.htm

Very interesting read there.:yesnod:
That has answered one of my questions as well. The standard discs are located on the outside of the flange as well as the studs.
David

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT