Sign In   Register

Topic

TF headlamp LEDs ? 5 months 2 weeks ago #204792

What are the views on LED headlamp bulbs for the TF ? Being projector type lamps Im assuming they would be ok but Ive not been able to find a How To on this
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TF headlamp LEDs ? 5 months 2 weeks ago #204797

I was also curious on this, I was thinking about this style which is commonly fitted to the land rovers.

Has anyone done this before ?

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pic inserted

TF headlamp LEDs ? 5 months 2 weeks ago #204800

Those in the picture are all in one 7" headlamp units. Quite a lot of people have fitted them to MGBs, classic Minis etc too but it would take quite a lot of surgery to make them fit inside a TF headlamp shell. I was just thinking of changing the bulbs in the interest of increasing light level slightly and reducing the temperature in the headlamps
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.

TF headlamp LEDs ? 5 months 2 weeks ago #204802

Yeah completely agree, but they do smaller diameter ones for motorbikes but along that theme.

TF headlamp LEDs ? 5 months 2 weeks ago #204803

I like those units and will probably get a pair for my MGB ready for when i finally get that back on the road. Especially like the idea of using the halos as indicators as well as sidelights.

For now im just thinking about swapping out the headlight bulbs on the TF, wondering if anyone has gone over to them.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

TF headlamp LEDs ? 5 months 1 week ago #204822

I think your find LED's in the heads are illegal in our cars, I did a lot of googling and they are OK on older cars like the MGB but not on ours. Something I think to do with "E" markings and the focal point of the bulb maybe diff from the LED therefor not "as tested" and the "E" mark doesn't count. The MGB's and the like fit a full replacement light unit that is presumably "E" marked???
I never thought much of the headlights and upgraded to Nightbreakers which improved them quite a bit, don't worry about the bulbs only being available in HB3 as against the TF's HB3A's, they still fit, I then fitted fogs which light up the verges round here nicely.
Now I have just refurbed a spare set of lights with DRL's which both switchback to work as indicators, I've had them lit up on the bench and think I can now give Blackpool a run for their money. I read all the threads on fitting them but was concerned with certain aspects, I didn't like the idea of the DRL controllers being in the headlight unit as I thought the considerable heat in the light unit might shorten their life. This was compounded by the fact that if the controller failed it would mean taking the lens off again, not something I would be happy about. The 4 DRL's all came with separate controllers with no indication of ratings on them so I contacted the makers (China) to ask and still await an answer months later. The upshot was I fitted the DRL's and rather than take a chance with 2 lights and 1 controller now I will have 2 externally mounted controllers per side which makes the wiring a tad complicated. When I get around to actually fitting them I have a fused relay to turn the DRL's off when the heads are on as legally they must go out or dim with the heads on. Despite all my googling I'm still not 100% sure they are legal and it might depend on the MOT testers idea of legality hence the fused relay, no lights no prob.

TF headlamp LEDs ? 5 months 1 week ago #204823

This a rather interesting grey area & it’s all to do with dates. E marking on cars commenced 1st October 2002, after that date all items included in a motor car, van etc had to comply with the electro magnetic directive & therefore by the same token a car manufacturer prior to that can have none CE approved parts. Extrapolate that & you SHOULD be able to fit whatever you like providing it is legal (no machine guns with live ammunition ) to a car made before 1/10/2002.
It probably won’t come as a surprise to find that I’ve experimented with LEDs, found them lacking on more than one occasion & returned them, but then the f headlights aren’t projector style.
For those interested in pursuing projector style lights in an f there is a kit, that although not designed for an f, has been adapted to work in one.
Several months ago we chased this around the block a few times & if you care to search it out there is a link to a YouTube video covering the conversion.
It was from down under & unsurprisingly Cobber had some salient points to add.
I wonder where the old bugger is, it’s not like him to be absent, I hope he’s OK & not picked a fight with one of those big reds or sat on a funnel web!
Come on Cobb’s give us a shout you old Bugger.
M

TF headlamp LEDs ? 5 months 1 week ago #204826

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
Yeah I’m still in the land of the living, just been busier than a one legged man in an arse kicking contest! I’ve finally fully moved in to the new place, now I can’t find a bloody thing, gotta 6m x 20m garage which is chockers full of stuff, spending my time sorting it….. I can now actually see the floor in a few places, so some progress is being made!
Of course the whole garage need rewiring and decent lighting put up!

And of course all the DIY handyman jobs, done by previous residents need redoing properly………. One should have a certificate of competency before they’re allowed to go into a hardware store and buy tools and materials!
You wouldn’t believe how much plumbing, electrical and general construction stupidity I’ve fixed so far
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

TF headlamp LEDs ? 5 months 1 week ago #204828

Good to hear from you Cobb’s. Back to the lights; if you go back about 12months & find post number 200682 there was a healthy discussion about this. David supplied the link to the YouTube video. I realise this pertains to f owners but as some might have missed it, it’s worth covering again.
M

TF headlamp LEDs ? 5 months 1 week ago #204830

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
I believe I may’ve suggested the possibility of gutting the F headlights and only keeping the clear lens glass and a modified body to hold approved lighting inserts, the clear lens cover now just being used as a fairing. Thus sidestepping any legislative restrictions.
As the inserts used should be legally able to be used as stand alone units.
I guess the same scenario could apply to the TF, but as I’ve never had a TF, I couldn’t really say.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

TF headlamp LEDs ? 5 months 1 week ago #204835

Regarding the halo lights in the TF. There are a few references to this modification on The-T-Bar (Sundance wrote a howto, I think). I fitted them to my 2004 TF a couple of years ago. I discussed it all with my MOT tester before starting work and he seemed perfectly happy. I also incorporated the switchback indicators. I bought a DRL controller and fitted it. It dimmed the DRLs nicely but then the indicator switchback wouldn't work. I removed the controller and now my DRLs do not dim but the indicators work perfectly again. When the MOT guy saw the car he was quite enthusiastic. His attitude has been basically along the lines of 'you need white lights at the front, red lights at the back, and orange indicators' and 'in any case, the car predates the DRL regs'. I have to say that the white halos I bought from Amazon aren't so bright that they are ever going to dazzle anybody, even at night. I've never attached a video before, so it may not work, but this is what they look like in bright sunlight. They look better than the video!

The video won't upload. Could someone PM me to explain how I upload a video, please?

Last edit: Post by BruceTF135. Reason: add video

TF headlamp LEDs ? 5 months 1 week ago #204839

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
@BruceTF135: PM sent
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds