• Page:

Topic

MGF/TF petrol cap 11 months 3 days ago #202357

• g4wam's Avatar Topic Author
  • g4wam
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi all,
wonder if anyone has removed the key lock assy from a filler cap?
I can buy a new filler cap without lock -which suggest the keylock can be swapped over.
my old filler cap isn't sealing properly and i am fairly certain a new seal is not available as a spare part.
thanks

Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF/TF petrol cap 11 months 2 days ago #202361

https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/22-cjjs-guides/14345-fuel-filler-cap-how-to-change-the-lock-barrel
In the How To Guides up the top
Cheers
John
The following user(s) said Thank You: g4wam

MGF/TF petrol cap 11 months 2 days ago #202363

It can be swapped over and is not too bad a job. I used the excellent guide as Toyman points you towards, I think the only bit I found a tad worrying was releasing the two end lugs, but otherwise it is very doable. I removed my cap to get the filler cap chrome plated after I had some fun and games with a mate who had removed his some months previously and brought it all around in a box to assemble.

MGF/TF petrol cap 11 months 2 days ago #202369

I had mine in bits a short while ago, the steel clips holding in those silly socket head studs had rusted away & I thought I’d lost one. I made brass M6 inserts, drilled out the original hole to accommodate the inserts & glued them in & with a set of cut down M6 socket head screws fitted it all back together.
Again I made my own inserts because I have the tools but you can buy them off eBay; Brass threaded inserts got me straight in. You can buy coloured screws so could colour coordinate if you wish. After I’d finished I stood back to fully appreciate my handy work & found the lost inserts.

MGF/TF petrol cap 11 months 2 days ago #202371

I'd always wondered what the allen key headed studs were for on the petrol cap. I suppose i should be grateful they dont all need unscrewing individually to remove the cap.

That got me wondering about the finisher sections either side front of the bootlid. Are these bits and the bolts within them just decorative as well ?
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.

MGF/TF petrol cap 11 months 2 days ago #202372

The torques screws are real enough but if you have VVC wheels the naff mock socket headed “screws” are plastic. If you are a real nerd you can drill & tap (M6?) & you can get black stainless cap head screws to get you back to where you started from. Only now you have convincing screws which still do nothing.

MGF/TF petrol cap 11 months 1 day ago #202373

I replaced my filler cap by swapping the lock over... little bit fiddly but it can be done!

MGF/TF petrol cap 11 months 1 day ago #202375

After I’d finished I stood back to fully appreciate my handy work & found the lost inserts.

That’s gotta just shit you to tears!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

MGF/TF petrol cap 11 months 1 day ago #202384

• g4wam's Avatar Topic Author
  • g4wam
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
thanks everyone who answered my query

regards

Mike