Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGTF clutch noise 4 years 8 months ago #191258

Hi everyone,

My clutch seems to be rattling, when the car is cold, there is little difference between when the clutch is out and when the clutch is depressed. When the car is hot, there seems to be a rattle when the clutch is out that goes away when the clutch is depressed.
The car has done 55k km (allegedly) and I think it may be the release bearing, but as I haven't changed a clutch since 1973 (Austin Healey Sprite) I am very rusty in this area to say the least.
I have uploaded a short video to listen to but I don't know if it really helps - this is only my second TF so I don't know if this is a generic fault.
Please have a listen:

Thanks

Keith

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGTF clutch noise 4 years 8 months ago #191285

It sounds the same to me whether the clutch is in or out. Maybe if you recorded it in one clip, so that the sound is continuous, with the clutch pumped in and out?...

Or maybe there is someone with more acute hearing than me

:nonod:

MGTF clutch noise 4 years 8 months ago #191294

Thanks for the feedback Bruce, I'll make it again without the pauses.

Keith

MGTF clutch noise 4 years 8 months ago #191295

Can you listen to this please:

Thanks

Keith

MGTF clutch noise 4 years 8 months ago #191314

I can't tell from the sounds but if you're concerned about the clutch engaging. I would recommend bleeding the clutch slave cylinder first. Note that there is is only a small amount of travel about half an inch.

MGTF clutch noise 4 years 8 months ago #191317

Check the release arm is not sticking.

If it is, then it will place constant pressure on the release bearing, and, as in my case, cause the release bearing supports to melt and colapse.

yes mine rattled when disengaged, and went quiet when pressing peddle down. Stayed like this for a year or two before release bearing failed, so might not be related.

I was always battling a sticking release arm during this time.

When i did the clutch, the arm was VERY tight to move, but still operated clutch fine.

MGTF clutch noise 4 years 8 months ago #191318

G0RSQ, as you have done a CLUTCH JOB have you any views on the following problem I have--in first gear when warm and in slow moving traffic the car judders( like a learner drive might cause) .It doesn't slip like a typical clutch problem ..
It also may judder when moving off from an incline
regrds

Mike G4WAM

MGTF clutch noise 4 years 8 months ago #191325

Sorry but it is hard to say.
Clutch judder could be due to bad friction plate or thrust bearing :(

However could also be the hydraulics, though much less likely.

One other thing to check is the engine mounts, in particular the torque tamer.

When mine failed it was catastophic failure of the thrust bearing, due to the clutch arm sticking, and causing dragging on the thrust bearing.

My clutch plate, and cover were in great condition, with little wear.

I supose a sticking release arm could also cause juddering, so also well worth checking.

A worn clutch would show as a high clutch bite point.

MGTF clutch noise 4 years 8 months ago #191327

thanks for your answers -could you comment on the following from your experience.
1.should a good clutch(replaced like yours) work on the lower half of the clutch pedal travel ?
2.mine seems to be on the upper or last part of the clutch pedal travel -do you think that this suggest limited release arm travel? (perhaps sticking and causing the judder when in traffic)
3.did you follow a guide on the forum for your clutch replacement or use your own method?

regards

Mike

MGTF clutch noise 4 years 8 months ago #191328

That type of noise would make think it is the release bearing.

A juddering clutch to me would mean a worn out clutch, but normally with a worn out clutch, the clutch engages and disengages only when the pedal is fully depressed, only that last bit of travel towards the floor engages or disengages the clutch.

I replace the clutch in my wife's F this past winter. The clutch could only be engaged and disengaged when the pedal was almost fully depressed. It was a time consuming job but not difficult. I basically followed the how-to on Dieter's page, which is really a concise/condensed version of the workshop manual. The only thing I did differently was that I only dropped the gearbox side of the subframe.
Mark
95 MGF

MGTF clutch noise 4 years 8 months ago #191330

thanks Mark for that great advice

Mike

MGTF clutch noise 4 years 8 months ago #191331

Clutch judder can be caused by oil or clutch fluid contamination of the clutch plate
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT