Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Windscreen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189239

My 2004 TF is a brilliant car but with 108,000 on the clock it inevitably shows a bit of wear and tear. After 3 years of occasional fettling, the worst part now is the windscreen.

The windscreen has significant wear from the wipers but also is completely covered by some sort of fine pitting. It's not a problem until I drive towards the sun, particularly if it is low in the sky. It becomes nearly impossible to see through the glass. I've tried cleaning it, obviously.

There seem to be plenty of opportunities to pick up a 2nd hand screen but is DIY replacement a viable option? Has anyone done it? Is there a howto anywhere? Can they be refinished?

Alternatively, are new ones available through people like Autoglass? I suspect it would be expensive - unless my windscreen should become damaged in some way! Or would they fit a second-hand screen?

Any advice?...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Windscreen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189241

Go for a new screen, anything second had will have pitting and srcatches, why replace a problem with a slightly smaller helping of the original problem?
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Windscreen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189242

If I was fitting a new windscreen, I would opt for a heated one. Think there is one up for auction on the FRL Facebook site.

Sundance

Windscreen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189243

My windscreen needed to be replaced 4 years ago, they fitted a new one.

Then about a month later I saw the group buy for heated screens... 🤦‍♂️

Windscreen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189244

Hi. You're describing an issue which could be dealt with under your windscreen insurance, as part of your standard car insurance. You would only have to pay the windscreen excess but it will not normally affect your claims bonus. I may do mine this year as it' s looking a bit cloudy which I think means it's de-laminating.

Windscreen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189247

Thanks very much for the replies so far.

Cobber, I agree that a new screen would be best; I wasn't sure whether they are even available. Sounds like they are.

Sundance / Jan, As nice as it sounds, a heated screen seems an unnecessary extravagance for me. Apart from the occasional bright winter's day, it only comes out of the garage in fair weather. The auction on FRL is currently at £275, not including fitting. Sounds a lot but I have no idea what Autoglass etc would charge to fit it. I appreciate that it is for charity, though.

Martin, I was wondering about claiming on the windscreen insurance. But would the insurance cover wear and tear? I'm not sure. Perhaps I should phone the insurance company or drop into a windscreen place and ask the questions.

Is DIY fitting a realistic proposition?

I've never needed a windscreen replacement before although I've had a couple of chips repaired, which were arranged by the insurance company and carried out on my drive.

Windscreen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189250

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
Rimmers have new screens available
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-CMB101120PMH

As for doing it yourself, I've done mine own in the past, not on the MGF but the procedure will be the same, As well as the screen you'll need a pull wire to cut out the old screen and the bonding agent for glueing the new screen in, I'd watch a few youtube vids to see if you think thats something you'd be happy to tackle.

Also worth checking your insurance, Most policies don't have any excess for windscreens, nor effect your no claims, obviously that would be on a non repairable crack ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

Last edit: Post by psymon.

Windscreen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189261

I had mine replaced by Autoglass via Lancaster insurance (£70 excess) a really good job was done, mine had a crack following a stone chip that got worse with vibration and a little heavy handed cleaning :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

Windscreen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189323

Get a heated one if you can.

Pay a fitter to do it, AutoGlass always give me a good price for cash.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Windscreen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189335

Thanks to all for the advice. Several people are recommending a heated screen as the way forward. I'm not sure that I will need it but you never know, I might sell it one day.

I am a bit confused about how they would work in my TF. I have a glass screened hood and have fitted a relay and switch but how does the wiring for a heated windscreen work? Would the windscreen company sort that out? More likely I would have to! But how?

Cheers, all!

Windscreen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189340

As it is not manufacture equipment there is no provision for the wiring.

There are several how to guides on the subject.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT