Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Mk 2 MGF Water Temp Gauge stopped 5 years 5 months ago #188405

I took the MGF (2001 Mk 2) for a run last night and noticed the coolant temperature gauge not registering. Investigation showed that, when I turn on the ignition, the needle goes from zero down slightly, then doesn't move.
Checking via OBD2, the coolant was running between 88C and 90C consistently during the trip (approx 100km each way).
There has been no previous issues, and I have not had a chance to check connections around the engine.
Any suggestions before I start?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mk 2 MGF Water Temp Gauge stopped 5 years 5 months ago #188406

Just check coolant temperature gauge sensor on the engine elbow. Most probably needs change and that is all.
Be warned that on the elbow you have two sensors. The sensor with only one wire is the gauge sensor. The other one is engine ECU sensor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sunlover

Last edit: Post by Roverlike.

Mk 2 MGF Water Temp Gauge stopped 5 years 5 months ago #188407

Good advice above.:broon:
In addition, that temperature range seems low, perhaps you need to check your thermostat? :shrug:
David
:shrug:

Mk 2 MGF Water Temp Gauge stopped 5 years 5 months ago #188409

Thanks David. I wondered about that. The engine has recently been replaced, and the temperature gauge, when working, always sat just below half way - never moved. I will check the thermostat once I get this problem sorted.

Mk 2 MGF Water Temp Gauge stopped 5 years 5 months ago #188414

As above, check the blue coolant temp sensor. A quick test is to earth the lead to the sensor, the gauge should go to the top.

88 - 90' is fine if you are cruising, stationary or slow traffic should give slightly higher temps.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sunlover

Mk 2 MGF Water Temp Gauge stopped 5 years 5 months ago #188432

Thanks everyone. I got into it today, and found the wire to the sensor was broken right where it enters the sensor. A bit of fabrication, and everything is fine again.

Mk 2 MGF Water Temp Gauge stopped 5 years 5 months ago #188436

Good to hear.:broon:

On the subject of coolant temperatures, I monitored my readings while doing a bit of shopping, town, commuting, A roads etc.
Once fully warm, the coolant only varied between 98 and 104. So either my engine runs hot or yours runs cold.:shrug:
David

Re:Mk 2 MGF Water Temp Gauge stopped 5 years 5 months ago #188446

Mine is more or less constant 98 whilst rolling, at idle of very low speeds it can get to 106 then the rad fan(s) kick in.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mk 2 MGF Water Temp Gauge stopped 5 years 5 months ago #188449

......Once fully warm, the coolant only varied between 98 and 104. So either my engine runs hot or yours runs cold.:shrug:

You're a tad hot David.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Mk 2 MGF Water Temp Gauge stopped 5 years 5 months ago #188453

......Once fully warm, the coolant only varied between 98 and 104. So either my engine runs hot or yours runs cold.:shrug:

You're a tad hot David.

Why, thank you James...:woohoo:
David

Mk 2 MGF Water Temp Gauge stopped 5 years 5 months ago #188459

The problems with gauges are, that in order to take their readings as gospel;
Firstly, the gauges and senders need to be of high quality (not likely with any OEM equipment)
Secondly, they need to be calibrated on a regular basis.

Not that is to say that they are useless, far from it.
Where they are useful is a comparator over time, don't worry about the indicated numbers, but watch for differences in the readings over a period of time and also look for any sudden changes which may indicate potential inimate catastrophic failure.

Get to know where the needles normally sit on your individual car, and investigate any unusual readings ASAP.
Gauges give you a chance to head problems off as the pass, by demostrating unusual behaviour, whereas idiot lights may only inform you after the damage is done.
As always........trust but verify!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Mk 2 MGF Water Temp Gauge stopped 5 years 5 months ago #188465

Good advice Cobber.

John

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT