Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Darn locking wheel nuts!!!!! 5 years 9 months ago #187544

So tried to get wheel off 03 TF160 only to find the lugs inside the special nut sheared off- oh joy!

Searched the "how to guides" and bought a 19mm high grade steel 6 flat socket, heated it up and banged it on. Quenched it with water and hey presto...... after an initial grip it simply spun around the wheel nut.........

Is it simply a case of buying an 18mm one this time and hitting it harder onto the nut or is this a lost cause and I need another approach?

Many thanks.

Keith

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Darn locking wheel nuts!!!!! 5 years 9 months ago #187548

A 18mm hex socket will go on with s few gentle tabs of a decent hammer, make sure you tap it off the nut as soon as the nut is loose.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Darn locking wheel nuts!!!!! 5 years 9 months ago #187550

The locking wheel nuts are not impact gun friendly, usually the tyre fitters will wang them up with their impact gun and the nuts suffer for it, as do the standard nuts which have the chrome cap.
Most F and TF driver I know have ditched their locking nuts, I have seen several cars in the same situation as your, where the owner could not remove the nut.
Also a good idea to keep a few spare nuts in your toolbox, they do chew up...

Sundance

Darn locking wheel nuts!!!!! 5 years 9 months ago #187570

There are special tools (sockets that bite into the nut as they turn) available, but they are not cheap.

However as a last resort!

Darn locking wheel nuts!!!!! 5 years 9 months ago #187571

A 18mm hex socket is cheaper and works on the earlier locking nuts on our cars.

Darn locking wheel nuts!!!!! 5 years 9 months ago #187575

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
Once you get the damned things off, hurl them in the bin and get 4 ordinary wheel nuts to replace them, the local scumbags probably won't bother stealing 15" or 16" wheels anymore........why would they bother when it's just as easy to steal far more saleable 18", 20" etc.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: mowog73

Darn locking wheel nuts!!!!! 5 years 9 months ago #187581

Local scumbags will steal them thinking they will fit their ZR/25/corsa…

And the insurance company won't payout on a claim as part of the factory fitted security system has been deleted.

Darn locking wheel nuts!!!!! 5 years 9 months ago #187582

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
How would the insurance knob-jockeys know that the stupid lock nuts weren't there? especaily if you conveninetly find one of the lock nuts under the car, that the scumbag theives obviously droped in their haste.
They must have had an 18mm socket to bash on and remove the nuts with.........better still, have the nut still jamed in the socket!....Sorted!:bust:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Darn locking wheel nuts!!!!! 5 years 9 months ago #187583

If you are really stuck, a set of these (see link below) may be the solution. I have a set of Irwin ones, but only good up to 16mm. These should cover the TF wheel nuts.
I got sick of breaking the plastic cap removal tool and even though I have two sets of nuts and a spare security socket, I still prefer not to use them, more trouble that they are worth. I don't hear of wheels being nicked much nowadays, especially in the rural area that I live in...but maybe if I was in a city, I would may consider using the nuts.

Sundance
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-bolt-nut-remover-set-6-pieces/6083D?tc=AT7&ds_kid=92700022888068805&ds_rl=1249796&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249484&gclid=Cj0KCQjwquTbBRCSARIsADzW88zbSRA5oG6H2v10vP8TyT9eboecZSxFMgMJUp2yFUAU0fljSXidK00aAgZLEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLTd3cWh-dwCFXYE0wodG-wDCQ

Darn locking wheel nuts!!!!! 5 years 9 months ago #187584

And the insurance company won't payout on a claim as part of the factory fitted security system has been deleted.

The insurance company won't pay out a claim for the theft of the alloys if the locking wheel nuts have been removed, but it wouldn't affect a claim for an accident. The change or omission has to be related to the claim.

Darn locking wheel nuts!!!!! 5 years 8 months ago #187588

My cars always locked in a garage so no need for locking nuts...well not in the garage but the car travels about a bit and with those nice new toyos on...then I think I will leave the locking nuts on.....it's the rubber there after...the alloy just goes on the scrap pile

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Darn locking wheel nuts!!!!! 5 years 8 months ago #187590

How would the insurance knob-jockeys know that the stupid lock nuts weren't there? especaily if you conveninetly find one of the lock nuts under the car, that the scumbag theives obviously droped in their haste.
They must have had an 18mm socket to bash on and remove the nuts with.........better still, have the nut still jamed in the socket!....Sorted!:bust:

And when the car has been stolen, trashed and found, wheels still on but no locking nuts, the insurance inspectors are clever chaps. They could easily say that part of the security system has been compromised, what about the rest of it?

At the end of the day it is your choice but I've heard enough instances of wheels being stolen to not want to take the risk.

If my car is going into a garage for work I will swap the locking nuts off for the spare nuts I carry, that way I can ensure that they are treated with respect.

Later MG/Rovers were fitted with McGard locking nuts so these are O/E equipment.

The insurance rating for these cars is based on their security system which includes remote locking and passive immobiliser etc. AND locking wheel nuts.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT