Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Engine oil cooler for MFG steptronic? 6 years 3 months ago #183507

Hi,
I have an MGF 2002 steptronic. I constantly have oil temps above 120C and in the summer easily it can reach 150C.
I am thinking of adding an oil cooler from a 160 model. Do you know if due to the steptronic there is a constrain to add this oil cooler?

Thanks for your answers!
Christopher

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Engine oil cooler for MFG steptronic? 6 years 3 months ago #183508

Hi.
:welcome2:

The fitted oil temperature gauge is notoriously innacurate. You are most certainly NOT getting those levels of high oil temperature. So there's no need to fit an oil cooler.

If you get your oil temperature accurately measured by inserting a sensor down the filler tube(garages often have this equipment) I'm sure you'll find it is much lower.

My fitted gauge was over-reading by 35 degrees! You can accept this over reading or, as I have done, insert a resistance into the feed to the gauge to make it read more accurately.:broon:
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Engine oil cooler for MFG steptronic? 6 years 3 months ago #183510

I concur with our learned friend David..................... the oil temp gauge is about as handy as a spare prick at a wedding! :bust:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Engine oil cooler for MFG steptronic? 6 years 3 months ago #183512

Hi.

The fitted oil temperature gauge is notoriously innacurate. You are most certainly NOT getting those levels of high oil temperature. So there's no need to fit an oil cooler.

If you get your oil temperature accurately measured by inserting a sensor down the filler tube(garages often have this equipment) I'm sure you'll find it is much lower.

My fitted gauge was over-reading by 35 degrees! You can accept this over reading or, as I have done, insert a resistance into the feed to the gauge to make it read more accurately.:broon:

This is very interesting, David. I had no idea that the oil temperature guage was unreliable. Mine usually reads less than 120 once warm but creeps up a bit to over 120 on a lengthy motorway drive.

Can you provide more information on inserting a resistance into the guage feed, please?

Engine oil cooler for MFG steptronic? 6 years 3 months ago #183518

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
. infra red temperature indicator. This one is about 12 quid from Mano Mano though you can pay more. I have had an RS one for yonks. The Missis uses it to check the temp of her home made jam. Versatile.

Dead handy. I pinged the sump pan when up to temperature and our gauge was spot on. Also useful for stuff like checking brake disc temps etc if you suspect a bind.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by John and Sue.

Engine oil cooler for MFG steptronic? 6 years 3 months ago #183520

The steptronic has a gear box fluid cooler in front of the coolant rad.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Engine oil cooler for MFG steptronic? 6 years 3 months ago #183521

Thanks for the input David. As I have an OBD2 wifi module I cannot read the Engine oil temp. Have you managed to read it?

Engine oil cooler for MFG steptronic? 6 years 3 months ago #183522

Out of the box thinking!!! For sure I will try it. Thanks!!!!

Engine oil cooler for MFG steptronic? 6 years 3 months ago #183524

. infra red temperature indicator. This one is about 12 quid from Mano Mano though you can pay more. I have had an RS one for yonks. The Missis uses it to check the temp of her home made jam. Versatile.

Dead handy. I pinged the sump pan when up to temperature and our gauge was spot on. Also useful for stuff like checking brake disc temps etc if you suspect a bind.

Out of the box thinking!!! For sure I will try it. Thanks!!!!

Engine oil cooler for MFG steptronic? 6 years 3 months ago #183525

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
If memory serves, optimum oil temp is between 95 and 115 Celsius. Short bursts above are ok. Water temp is around 85 degrees, so a good heat balance is achieved with a liquid to liquid cooler.

White metal (Babbit metal more correctly, after the inventing metallurgist) as used in big end and main bearings plated overlay gets in distress at >120 degrees so a major function of oil is carrying heat away. 80% cooling and 20% lube is the thumb rule.

Well, it is for steam turbines anyway. Been told it applies to all white metal applications.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Engine oil cooler for MFG steptronic? 6 years 3 months ago #183530

Hi.

Thanks for the input David. As I have an OBD2 wifi module I cannot read the Engine oil temp. Have you managed to read it?

ok took me a little time to find it but have a read of this:- Resistor in oil gauge feed
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

Engine oil cooler for MFG steptronic? 6 years 3 months ago #183534

The steptronic has a gear box fluid cooler in front of the coolant rad.

And here's a picture of it

I agree with others in that I would first suspect the temperature gauge and check it with an IR temperature guns.
Mark
95 MGF
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT