Sign In   Register

Topic

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181321

https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/21-david-aiketgate-s-guides/88966-compliance-washers-what-s-that-about-then#179738
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181322

Another possibility is the compliance bushes have given up the ghost this can result in a rear wheel steering effect, which is very disconcerting.it would feel like your description..

The compliance bushes are located in the middle of the rear bottom arms. They are large bushes that locate a rod that comes from the front of the subframe.! It is possible to add shims/ washers to take up the slack. I have a 'how to' if you look In the list

The compliance bushes 'looked' OK to my eyes but will check again once Storm Brian passes over later in the weekend. They were certainly nothing like the ones in the pics in your How To, with no visible gaps at all. Will take some photos when I get a chance.

Another thought - suspension spheres? The ride is possibly a little low at about 350mm but hasn't changed since the last time I measured it a couple of months ago.
Robin ;)

Last edit: Post by cairnsys.

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181323

When is the MOT due? If it's anytime soon, it might be worth popping it in early. I'd have thought that an MOT tester would have noticed something as bad as you describe. I can only think of things you've already looked at, i.e. flat tyre, loose wheel nuts etc.

Sounds horrible!

MOT not due till January but I may be seeking professional help with this one!
Robin ;)

Re:RE: Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181327

sounds to me like your rear shocks need looking at, soft shocks are like driving on ice,

Thanks Graham. I did the bounce test and all seems solid enough on the shocks aspect. Also, this has happened very suddenly, not a gradual thing at all. As I said, I'd been cornering fairly vigorously (for me anyway) a few miles previously and it was handling like a dream, so it feels to me like something has failed very quickly.

I am wondering whether it could be a diff problem but forgot to check for that this morning. Is it possible for the diff to lock for any reason. I did notice an oil leak from the inner drive shaft area.

Possibly a bush gone soft maybe

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181329

Hi there,
my thoughts.are that if it was an MGTF it would be caused by the appropriate side rear lower arm link bush at the hub end-it happened to me this year very frightening behavior at low speed on a wet surface
Just looked at the EPC (.https://www.the-t-bar.com/axles-suspension-drive-shafts-wheels/23-rear-suspension/333-rear-lower-arm-mgf ) on this web site and the F has the same style lower arm.
You could check for bush wear by suspending each rear wheel after jacking up and try to rock the wheel side to side
Mike

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181330

Hi there,
my thoughts.are that if it was an MGTF it would be caused by the appropriate side rear lower arm link bush at the hub end-it happened to me this year very frightening behavior at low speed on a wet surface
Just looked at the EPC (.https://www.the-t-bar.com/axles-suspension-drive-shafts-wheels/23-rear-suspension/333-rear-lower-arm-mgf ) on this web site and the F has the same style lower arm.
You could check for bush wear by suspending each rear wheel after jacking up and try to rock the wheel side to side
Mike

Thanks Mike. I have checked for side to side movement and felt a little on the LH rear which was due to the hub nut slackening off every so slightly I think. I couldn't feel any other movement. Just to be clear on the part you refer to, which number is it on the EPC? I think it may be the compliance washers that David refers to above but just to be sure.
Robin ;)

Last edit: Post by cairnsys.

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181342

Also check the inner bush and outer ball joint on the rear track control arm.
David

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181343

Thanks Mike. I have checked for side to side movement and felt a little on the LH rear which was due to the hub nut slackening off every so slightly I think. I couldn't feel any other movement.

Movement may be wheel bearing on the way out.
David

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181348

Part 21 on the diagream

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181351

I found nut #10 missing on my car one time when handling went wonky.
Mark
95 MGF

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181352

Part 21 on the diagream

Great - thank you. Not the one I was thinking of. I will check that as well. David also suggested that component as worth checking.
Robin ;)

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181359

Thanks Mike. I have checked for side to side movement and felt a little on the LH rear which was due to the hub nut slackening off every so slightly I think. .

Those nuts don't just come loose!

Either the hub has failed or the bearing needs replacing as previously advised.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT