Sign In   Register

Topic

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181363

Ok -Davids advice is probably the best in your case
Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181366

Thanks Mike. I have checked for side to side movement and felt a little on the LH rear which was due to the hub nut slackening off every so slightly I think. .

Those nuts don't just come loose!

Either the hub has failed or the bearing needs replacing as previously advised.

It wasn’t exactly loose. It looked like it had slipped to the extreme of the punch in on the indent, so about an eighth of an inch. I can’t feel any roughness on rotation so don’t THINK it’s the bearing but will check again
Robin ;)

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181581

Finally found some time to get under the car and check everything.

Tie rod bushes look like they've been changed to polybushes and are good both sides.

Subframe to body mountings are all solid.

Upper ball ball joints seem OK.

RH lower shocks absorber mounting bolt was loose (no idea how!) so I've tightened that and all seems OK now.

LH Track Control Arm looks to be the problem with a lot of movement on the inner bush. Tried to video but it's the wrong format for the site at the moment. Will have a play and see if I can upload it later.

Video here

I've loosened both bolts so good news there but can't quite get the subframe mounting bolt past the exhaust, so it looks like the box is going to have to come off and guess what.......
Robin ;)
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by cairnsys.

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181583

You can get a poly bush to replace the inner. I think it's listed as a TF outer bush on Rimmer's, but it does fit on the inner for the MGF.

I'm surprised that you are struggling to extract passed the exhaust. Both mine came out without a problem. Wonder why your Exhaust is down that low?:shrug: Engine mounts OK?

You could try a block of wood under the sump and Jack up the engine. Might give you enough clearance...:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: More info

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181584

I've ordered the complete TCA from Rimmers. It was £71 delivered and saves me messing about getting the old bush out. I did read your post and certainly considered it but chickened out!

I have the Double S exhaust and the box may be a bit fatter than the OEM one. The bolt almost comes out so I think I'm going to try loosening the mounting bolts to try to get enough play to get the bolt out. Easier than releasing the very rusty box:cat bolts I reckon.

Failing that your suggestion to jack up the engine may well give the necessary clearance, depending on how much give there is in the engine mountings I suppose.

I will check the engine mountings as well but have no reason to think there's anything wrong with them.
Robin ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181585

Just checked and the TF outer bushes are £38 a pair plus delivery so £71 for the whole TCA doesn't seem too bad. At least I can be sure that the outer ball joint will be ok then.
Robin ;)

Back End Gone Very Loose 6 years 6 months ago #181755

Problem sorted!

Changed the left rear Track Control Arm and everything is back to normal. Just need to get the wheel alignment checked now and I'll be a happy man - for a while anyway!
Robin ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, sworkscooper

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT