Sign In   Register

Topic

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #167915

Bit of advice needed, battery died last week whilst driving, getting no charge from alternator, is it worth replacing the regulator (Bosch type) or are they not prone to fail?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #167916

Hi . What a coincidence . After fixing the SRS wiring under my drivers seat . I took the car ( and my wife ) for a run with a view to having lunch somewhere. Found ourselves at Burnsall on the edge of the Yorkshire dales. Had a great lunch at The Red Lion and went back to the car to go home . The TF just started , Hhmm I thought, all's not well. After doing the usual checks I found that the output from the alternator is lower than I would like .Consequently after further checks I have ordered a new regulator from MGmania . It is worth a shot at £36 as an alternator ( a good one ) is a fair bit more so , we shall see. It is not the battery as that has been checked out as healthy. Watch this space as they say . :dry:

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Rickster1977

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #167919

Many thanks for the reply John fingers crossed you get it sorted, sounds like a nice drive out by you. I'm hoping to get to the point where I can just enjoy my little MG it's been nothing but trouble since I got it in November. I think I might try a regulator first just out of interest I've never known an alternator totally give up with no tell tale signs first, but then again I've never had the joys of MG ownership. Best of luck John
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #167920

If there is nothing coming from the alternator, (no voltage) then check the fuse on the firewall between the engine bay and the boot. Centre top. Has a translucent plastic cover over it.

This is the alternator fuse, it may have blown.

When my regulator went, I was still getting voltage from the alternator, just not enough to charge the battery. Averaging around 12.5 volts.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rickster1977

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #167927

Cheers for that, that's what's got me wondering, I've been a mechanic for 25years but never seen total failure of an alternator like that.

Last edit: Post by Rickster1977. Reason: Spelling

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #167931

Hi
Where are you located as I have a complete alternator from a 135 .2002 sitting in my shed you are welcome two as I changed it because of a strange noise coming from the engin bay to find out it was not the fault. I'm based in Essex.

Gerry

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #167933

In my case the battery has tested as OK but just flat . The charge at the alternator is 13.4 with the battery in its flat state and is the same when it is charged
I am going to fit a regulator as prior to the car going into hibernation for winter the charge was 14.4 which is more like I would expect . The battery warning light is working ( I e is on when you turn the key and goes out when the engine starts) so I will take a punt on the regulator being at fault .

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #167935

Wow many thanks for the offer Gerry but I'm quite a trek away in Birmingham. I really do appreciate the offer, you MG guys are awesome I defo made the right choice on getting a little F the car may not be much good at the moment but the support is legendary

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #167958

If its your voltage regulator on the alternaor thats playing up, a temporary fix is to remove the main engine fuse every time you leave the car for a while, it isolates the alternator and stops the voltabe drain. A ball ache but better than having to jump start the car evertime, keeps you mobile until you get it fixed.

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #167965

I've checked all fuses including the large one on firewall all okay. I've only just realised the battery warning light isn't working at all. Won't come on with ignition on or engine running. Must be an issue with the exciter wiring circuit. Anybody had similar issues?

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #167979

Of course you’ve already checked the warning light globe isn't blown?????
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #167982

Not yet, it's next job on the cards when I get home tonight, are the bulbs all interchangeable on these?

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT