Sign In   Register

Topic

MGF/TF alternator 8 years 2 days ago #168047

Not yet, it's next job on the cards when I get home tonight, are the bulbs all interchangeable on these?

Yes

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rickster1977

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF/TF alternator 8 years 1 day ago #168072

Hi . Well I received the new regulator for the TF from MGMANIA the day after I ordered it ( great service ) and I managed to get round to fitting it today. I now have 14.4 volts at idle as opposed to the 13.5 that I had prior to fitting it.. Good result and a lot less expensive than a new alternator. Yippee ! :woohoo:

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

MGF/TF alternator 8 years 1 day ago #168080

Brilliant result!! I've checked everything now, all fuses, dash warning bulb, so it's looking like alternator/regulator so after your results I may also opt for a new regulator as I'm just not convinced the generator side would of packed up with absolutely no warning. Thanks for the update John. :clap:

MGF/TF alternator 8 years 1 day ago #168087

Hi Rickster. Yes , go for it. TBH when I removed the regulator I had my doubts as the brushes looked like new , not surprising really as my TF has only covered 20,000 miles. As I had to remove the alternator to fit the new regulator , I did feel I was barking up the wrong alley but, the volt meter doesn't lie. Went for a quick blast ( top down ) and another check of the output and all okay. When the car has everything switched on the voltage is still good at 13.7 . At £37 I consider that a good result. As most people on this forum will tell you ,the bolts holding the alternator on can be a B***H when they get rusted in so, make sure that you put some grease on them when you come to refit them. Best of luck and let us all know how you go on. :yesnod:

Cheers John

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #168774

With holidays and work getting in the way my little MG has been sat in garage under its cover, finally changed the regulator, and whooop!! Finally battery light came on with ignition, went off when it started and was putting out 14.4v! It's finally back on the road waiting for the next issue to bite me. Enjoy the sun people I'm off out to enjoy mine :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #168801

Hi Rickster . Well done that man , great result. I've been waiting to see if you would post the result . Now get out and enjoy . :woo2:

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rickster1977

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #168821

Cheers John I cruised all weekend in it burning my bald head to a crisp and I loved it!!!!!!! First fault free drive I've had since I picked the car up in December. For a cheap little car its put a serious smile on my face. Im now feeling the MG bug it's got my on the hook and is reeling me in :woowoo:

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #168823

Rickster, what is your voltage reading at the battery?
Mark
95 MGF

Last edit: Post by mowog73. Reason: can't spell worth crap.

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #168824

It's running at 14.2v at idle

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by cairnsys.

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #168892

Hmmm, I only get 13.4V at the battery with the engine running.
Mark
95 MGF

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #168894

Does the voltage increase as you raise the idle? Or does it increase when you put any consumers on such as lights?

MGF/TF alternator 7 years 11 months ago #168899

The voltage you detect is also dependent on the state of charge of the battery itself.

Think of it like a bath(plug in) with water running into it. If the bath is full you will only be able to put as much water in as exits via the overflow. If the bath is half full or less you can open the tap up full. The alternator is the tap in this example. :broon:

So if the battery is fully charged you will see a lower voltage from the alternator, but it should still be over 13 volts. A flat battery should show the highest voltage output from the alternator. 14.2v is the ideal maximum.

Over 14.2v risks boiling the acid and damaging the plates. Not to mention risk of explosion over 15 volts! :hgf:

Below 12.6v and the plates will sulphate. ie the chemical process reverses and instead of lead being taken into solution from the plates, lead sulphate salts are deposited onto the plates further reducing the battery's efficiency.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT