Sign In   Register

Topic

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161782

I was having issues with a flat battery on a daily basis. As I'm pushing 14.4V from the alternator when running I assumed it was a duff battery, replaced the battery and it was fine for a week as car not moved,.Drove it for the first time since new battery fitted yesterday and later that day flat battery again, what the hell is going on...
There has to be a drain somewhere.
I noticed a while ago the interior LEDs are permanently lit, I think someone here said that's because there's always a small amount of power running in the circuit. where does this power come from, I know they're not using masses but to me that would indicate a short circuit if all switches are open and ignition key removed...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161783

Could be a buggered diode in the alternator, allowing the system to charge the battery whilst running, but also draining the battery when not running.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161784

Oh no...... How do you check for that .....

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161787

My interior led's illuminate slightly when the car is powered down.I leave my car in the garage for a couple of weeks sometimes and my battery doesn't drain,so
I wouldn't think that is your problem.

The boot harness can cause a power drain if the wires are starting to break.

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161789

Get an amp drain tester..... pop in to a fuse, shut car, let it go to sleep and see if any drain (pop it on dash so you can see)....

The one below is what I got (although mine turned out to be a duff battery in the end!) as it fits both the F/TF early fuses and the later Pektron mini fuses.

Neilsen Fuse Buddy Tester Measure Current Fuse Box Fault Car Diagnose 5A
Completed
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161793

The alarm control unit controls the interior lighting . There is always a small amount of power in the system I think for the remote locking, this power is enough to light LEDS but not normal bulbs.

How long was the car run for?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161795

Boot loom/hinge wiring and the earth connection between the gearbox and bulkhead, bad connections here can cause rapid battery drain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkL

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161797

Car was run for nearly 2 hours of solid driving and then left running whilst I sat in it for a while, left all night and battery flat next morning. Am at a total loss. May need an auto electrician with a magic box to test it.

Re:Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161800

Sounds like mine was.... Turned out to be the battery.

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161801

Just tad a brand new battery, just tried a parasitic current drain test and the reading on the battery was only .05A so as to be expected. I am at a total loss.

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161806

Is the alternator actually charging the battery?
David
:shrug:

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161807

Getting 14v across the battery when engine running, so it should be. I think it's a broken wire somewhere and it's causing a short when it feels like it .....

Time to create page: 0.944 seconds