Sign In   Register

Topic

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161808

Your local independent motor factors should be able to do a drop test on the battery to see how it is holding its charge.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161874

Just had the second battery on mine in 18 months.

My clock seemed to be stopped when I got in the car but worked ok most of the time, then the battery was flat yesterday, wouldn't charge off my charger as it was shorted in the battery.

Don't seem to have much look with batteries replaced mine last year after it would not start, then starter motor went.
Replaced starter and it would occasionally not turn over, charge battery and it would start. found out the starter was duff.

Changed starter all seemed ok then battery has just gone! ARRRGGHHHH!

Fitted a volt meter last year so I can seem whats going on.

My led interior lights glow slightly when doors closed also.

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161875

Touch wood, I had the boot loom out last week and fund a wire with split insulation, although it was already taped up, I wrapped more tape round it and I haven't had a flat since, just a smashed rear end instead. Insurance sorting that..
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161907

Touch wood, I had the boot loom out last week and fund a wire with split insulation, although it was already taped up, I wrapped more tape round it and I haven't had a flat since, just a smashed rear end instead. Insurance sorting that..

Is it a difficult job taking out the boot loom, having similar problem

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161908

yes stepfather of mine had 3 batteries from halfords before the garage found it was the radio at fault.........even off it drained the battery.......a replacement radio was the cure.............another motor i knew the alarm system was the culprit and by leaving the car unlocked proved the point...........thrustrating isnt it :bang:

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161910

My boot loom on the F I used to own looked like this till I repaired it.

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161911

Is it a difficult job taking out the boot loom, having similar problem

Not that bad, you can reach all the plugs on the inside. Make sure you attach a draw cord as you pull it out so you can pull it all back again.

Another flat battery... 8 years 8 months ago #161913

Thanks for that, will have a go at the weekend if weather is good, going to check for paracitic battery drain as well

Another flat battery... 6 years 6 months ago #181279

Boot loom/hinge wiring and the earth connection between the gearbox and bulkhead, bad connections here can cause rapid battery drain.

Another flat battery... 6 years 6 months ago #181280

Where you see your wires in your boot. I put some covering over it, it was a piece of drainage pipe from my old washing machine, will put a photo up in the week to show you, it will protect the harness from any damage, just thought it would help, that way you can open and close your boot without worrying if it is still rubbing against the harness.

Another flat battery... 6 years 6 months ago #181282

I'm with Cobber on this, as I had the same problem with a brand new alternator - there was a short within the alternator that drained the battery. I realised what the problem was when I found the alternator was warm a few hours after switching off the engine.
I fitted a second alternator and it failed within a week. I then got a top of the range alternator and - touch wood - it's been perfect ever since.

Another flat battery... 6 years 6 months ago #181283

Hi and welcome to the forum Mark.

James

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT