• Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
:woohoo: Whizz that's ......

:nonod: wrong on the model and
:nonod: wrong owner

Try again :P

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #56956

Ok mg l1 Magna and was owned by Lancashire constabulary in Preston...

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #56986

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
:woohoo: Well done, he knows his 1933 L1 Magna's and can change an exhaust ~ what a guy. Adam the MQ T-Bar Quiz is in your hands, let's see what you come up with next.

Apparently, Lancashire Constabulary were the biggest buyer of MG's for police patrol cars in the UK from the 1930's to the 1980's

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #56992

Woohoo!!

Ok, my question... To the nearest minute, how long did I actually cry for on Saturday afternoon in sheer frustration? This was BEFORE I knew I had wrong exhaust too! haha

Just kidding, but you will get a bonus prize if you win quiz AND get right answer to the above...
The 'Spring' was was a replica of which model?
And what cars mechanical parts were used?

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #57015

Woohoo!!

Ok, my question... To the nearest minute, how long did I actually cry for on Saturday afternoon in sheer frustration? This was BEFORE I knew I had wrong exhaust too! haha

Just kidding, but you will get a bonus prize if you win quiz AND get right answer to the above...
The 'Spring' was was a replica of which model?
And what cars mechanical parts were used?

no body wants to correctly answer this one just in case you send them your old exhausting exhaust :hugs:

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #57080

I am guessing you cried for as many minutes as it took me to read through your thread looking for an answer. 20 minutes? I have too much time on my hands...

The MG TF (the original TF that is, not the one we all know and love...well some of us, others prefer MGFs apparently, which I can understand with their lovely fluid suspension).

From http://www.psychoontyres.co.uk/prize-winning-brazilian-avallone-11-a1110-016/

After some market research in 1968 a small volume Italian manufacturer Siata, up until then best known for building 40 odd Crosley powered 300 BC Barchetta Sports cars, went in to production of a MGTF replica called the Siata Spring using the mechanical components of the rear engined FIAT 850 ! The Spring continued in production until 1970 when Siata failed and continued under the ORSA name until 1975.

In 1974 the Brazilian furniture manufacturer Lafer created a fibre glass TF based replica again with running gear from a rear engined vehicle the VW Fusca (Beetle to the rest of us) ! Some 4300 MP Lafers were built with 1,000 thought to have been exported over a 16 years production span.

A couple of years later Brazilian racing driver / racing impresario and hitherto racing car constructor Antonio Carlos Avallone put the feeble but fun efforts of both Siata/ORSA and Lafer to shame by constructing his Avallone 11 an MG TF replica with a Brazilian spec Chevrolet engine at the front and additional Chevrolet do Brazil mechanical running gear all round.

The fibre glass panels were so strong that Antonio used to delight in handing potential clients at his factory and at motor shows a large rubber mallet and invite them to do their best to inflict some damage to the body panels.

Unlike the Siata/ORSA Spring or PM Lafer the Antonio Carlos Avallone paid a huge amount of attention to the details of the TF and then replicating them on his Avalone 11 which included not only the instrumentation but also the switch gear.

All of his dedication and hard work was rewarded when probably this very vehicle #A1110 016 was rewarded with the Best Replica Award at the 1978 Geneva Motor Show. An achievement recognised by MG with a letter of congratulation personally addressed to Antonio Carlos Avallone.

The intention of Swiss Importer Huber to introduce Avallone to the Swiss market some how got lost in the midst of time and this vehicle was found lying around in a building in 1982. With a lot of effort the previous owner managed to get the car legally registered for use on the road and drove it for some 20 years until he sold it to Peter M who informs me that the original steering wheel has been replaced with one of larger diameter, the original steel wheels have been replaced by larger wire wheels and that the original seats have been replaced with ones mounted lower in the cockpit.

Just as there seem to be a never ending stream of manufacturers making replica AC Cobra’s and Porsche 356′s so it is with replica MG TF other notable replica’s include the Naylor 1700 of the mid 1980′s and even today there is a company, TG, in new Zealand making TF kits using Miata MX5 running gear, yet none, so far as I am aware, of the other TF replica’s have been awarded a prize at the Geneva Motor Show.

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #57083

Win for Mr W :)
And close - it was 18 minutes so unfortunately you dont get the bonus prize but you do get to continue the quiz :)

I do love the octagonal dials...

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #57084

Here's a cryptic one for Mr. Forgetful. The Avalone (the above replica was Avallone but bear with me) is a model made and sold in the USA by a Japanese manufacturer. This same manufacturer supplies its running gear for another replica model that was made in the land of Proton. On what MG model was that replica based?

Mr Whiz, crying doesn't help in those moments of frustration but it sure feels good throwing spanners around! My family steer clear of the garage when they hear the cursing begin. Glad you got sorted with the exhaust in the end. Notch it up to experience!

Last edit: Post by MartinW.

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #57100

That'll be the TD2000 built in Malaysia I presume, a TD lookalike.
96 MGF 1.8i: Project Rally Car
98 MGF Abingdon" 285H cams, modded head etc
87 MG Metro: 1440cc fast road car
88 MG Metro Turbo
70 MG Midget: 1.9L VVC + supercharger + RWD = YEEHAA!
72 MGBGT: Project Speed 6 MGB
05 MG ZT-T 260: wife's sensible car
01 MG ZS 180: LHD, for driving around Germany in

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #57104

Correct, I should have been more cryptic!

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #57108

Perhaps, but to be fair, I'd have just guessed TD anyway - it's the most commonly replicated car ever, I'm pretty sure.

I guess I'd better think something up now...
96 MGF 1.8i: Project Rally Car
98 MGF Abingdon" 285H cams, modded head etc
87 MG Metro: 1440cc fast road car
88 MG Metro Turbo
70 MG Midget: 1.9L VVC + supercharger + RWD = YEEHAA!
72 MGBGT: Project Speed 6 MGB
05 MG ZT-T 260: wife's sensible car
01 MG ZS 180: LHD, for driving around Germany in

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT