Sign In   Register

Topic

MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53216

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
:welcome: Welcome to the new MG T-Bar Quiz, the just for fun quiz on the cars, people, places and anything related to MG.

Guess correctly and you score a point and get to post the next question.

If people are struggling to find the answer to your question then, after a suitable length of time, you can give clues to the answer.

If you want to check if the question you are thinking of has been asked before, use the site search facility in the top right of most screens.

If you want to see the type of questions previously asked, take a look the original MG Quiz thread which contains 332 MG related questions.

The new quiz will commence shortly and I have invited an old MG Quiz regular to set our first new question of the MG T-Bar Quiz …. As they say ‘watch this space’
:woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rog1963

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Bertl.

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53258

Paul has suggested I try my hand for the honour of the 1st question. (OLD quiz regular - hmmmmmmmmmm :nofight: ) I think it should be he who sets it bearing in mind all his efforts, :broon:

Anyway Paul, thanks from all of us for not only starting this whole thing off, giving us something to immerse ourselves in when we should (perhaps) be doing something else, and keeping us “on track” when sometimes we stray!!

As the first of a new session, we’ll go back to our origins. Hopefully this will also interest new viewers :welcome: and participants and is not one of my more esoteric selections.

What started MG – a (very) brief résumé of who, with what produced what to start a motoring legend?

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53269

Cecil Kimber and William Morris started work together on the MG projects under Morris Garages in the late 20's.

Kimber argued for stylish performance cars to be made alongside the standard Morris.

The first Morris Garage special appeared in 1924, the 'MG Saloon' ... and a motoring legend was born.

concise enough?

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53273

Anyway Paul, thanks from all of us for not only starting this whole thing off, giving us something to immerse ourselves in when we should (perhaps) be doing something else, and keeping us “on track” when sometimes we stray!!

Well said that man!

I, personally, have learnt loads .... and with some of the directions that Ted's clues have led me ... not all of it about MG's ;)

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53275

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

...concise enough?

:welcome: to the MG T-Bar Quiz mogatrons, that is very :dry: concise, just a bit more detail and dates please :yesnod: it is, after-all, our new start and introduction to the new quiz :broon:

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53276

Thank you Mogatrons - the brief answer I had prepared earlier

1923 – Cecil Kimber took a Morris Oxford chassis, a re-worked Hotchkiss engine , a sheet metal two bucket seat body with a tapered boat tail with a gesture for bumpers. No windshield and a Cowley bull nose. and thus we got

So - over to you :broon:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53281

Cheers guys.

Here's an easy one for you.

MG used a particular V8 engine successfully alongside other British marques.

Where did this engine originate from (company) and in what car did it first appear?

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53283

The Buick all alloy V8 was first used in a Rover P5 designated PB5 with the B for Buick and was then used in the P6 and Range Rover, before making its way as a detuned unit in the MGB GT V8 in 1973 until 1977 although Ken Costello was fitting the engine in his own Costello specials including Roadsters as early the late 1960s.

MG stated that the Roadster was not suitable for the V8 and hence launched the GT straight into the 1973 Suez crisis which limited its sales, yet in 1992 Rover launched the RV8 as a roadster.

Last edit: Post by MartinW.

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53287

Maybe I'm being pedantic (how unlike me!) but wasn't the Buick 'small block' Alloy V8 first used in the 1951 GM concept car 'Le Sabre'?

Mmmm, NICE! ;)
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53289

...and it's a soft top!
David
:shrug:

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53296

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Hhmmm a difference of opinions, I have asked mogatrons to :drive: back and adjudicate.

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 10 months ago #53297

Sorry, I mis-read the question as in what MG or BMC car did it first appear.

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT