Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 9 months ago #56233

I don't suppose it is anything to do with indicators/side lights is it Martin?

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 9 months ago #56283

It's a very small clue near the windscreen and these were dropped in favour of a lead loaded joint.
Attachments:

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 9 months ago #56295

Ah true. Must be a MK1 then, figured wheels and grille were too easy (and not right, given MK1 and MK2 had chrome grille and steel wheels).
96 MGF 1.8i: Project Rally Car
98 MGF Abingdon" 285H cams, modded head etc
87 MG Metro: 1440cc fast road car
88 MG Metro Turbo
70 MG Midget: 1.9L VVC + supercharger + RWD = YEEHAA!
72 MGBGT: Project Speed 6 MGB
05 MG ZT-T 260: wife's sensible car
01 MG ZS 180: LHD, for driving around Germany in

Last edit: Post by MG mad.

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 9 months ago #56298

Over to you MG mad!

Indeed, a Mk1, and the little s/steel trim on the windscreen pillar is a very rare item nowadays and not remanufactured like the rest of the trim. I assume the repro front bumper you mention is because of the poor end finish dropping down? I think the interior mirror is also Mk1 only, but I'm not completely sure.

Anyway, here is the picture with number plate that I had to hide above. Taken last weekend at MGLive.

Attachments:

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 9 months ago #56309

Yes that's the problem with the repro bumpers, in fact even the "OE" ones you can get aren't very good. Hence we recommend people rechrome their old ones if they're straight.

What is this, who's is it and where did it spend the immediate post-war period?

88 MG Metro Turbo

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 9 months ago #56376

This car is the Brooklands record breaking Horton K3 single seater, It spent the war in Singapore then in Japanese hands.which would seem to contradict the the story that it was used as the basis for the EX 135 record car (pictured below with Goldie Gardner's EX 181)

i don't know who owns it now but it did belong to the late Mike Hawke MGCC Chairman who died in 2010.

It began life as a normal K3 until it was modified by R.R. Jackson of Brooklands fame for R.T. Horton. It was an off-set single-seater which was regularly performing well in 1935. Goldie brought the Horton car in 1936 and thus began his career of serious record breaking. On the August Bank Holiday meeting he established a new Class G Outer Ciruit lap record of 124.4 m.p.h..

More records were attempted the next day but these were later disqualified due to faulty timing equipment, but an excellent average was achieved of 119 m.p.h.. This news did not go un-noticed and was brought to the attention of Cecil Kimber (then head of M.G.) who agreed to provide some factory assistance in preparing the car for the 1937 season. Robin Jackson agreed to continue his work on engine improvements. These included a new bronze cylinder head, new valves and camshaft, and building a larger Powerplus supercharger.
In June 1937, the rebuilt car went with Goldie to the new autobahn which had just been built outside Frankfurt in Germany, where a record-breaking week was being held. Despite a misfire, new Class G records were set for the Mile and Kilometre at above 142 m.p.h..
Subsequently at Monthlery, more records were set with the 5 kilometres at 130.52 m.p.h., 5 Miles at 129.98 m.p.h., 10 Kilometres at 129.79 m.p.h. and 50 Kilometres at 123.21 m.p.h..
In October, again in Frankfurt, the car came out once more, showing distinct differences from its earlier form. The car was much cleaned up externally and now used a Zoller blower instead of the Powerplus unit.
The changes obviously worked and the new Mile and Kilometre records were set at 148 m.p.h..
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by alanrt54.

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 9 months ago #56447

Quite right. The car was mostly buried during WW2 and not unearthed until the early 70's, when the engine was offered to Mike Hawke who was stationed in Singapore at the time. He uncovered as much of the rest of the car as he could, and built a new body. It's still owned by Mike's family - we stayed with Ann Hawke before and after MG Live - Dad's Midget is currently sitting next to it in Ann's garage.
88 MG Metro Turbo

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 9 months ago #56465

What can anyone tell us about this

Attachments:

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 9 months ago #56475

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Taken from Rutger Booy's site (click here)

Sometime in the 1930s Cecil Cousins, who was the foreman of the MG experimental department, worked on the project of this Light Armoured Vehicle. Its body was made of plywood and rested on the chassis of an early MG J2 Midget, judging by the Rotax headlights dating from 1932. On the other hand it could also have been the chassis of a six-cylinder F-type Magna. Anyhow, this project never went beyond the early development stages.

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 9 months ago #56481

According to MG-historian Wiard Krook, sometime in the 1930s Cecil Cousins, who was the foreman of the MG experimental department, worked on the project of this Light Armoured Vehicle. Its body was made of plywood and rested on the chassis of an early MG J2 Midget, judging by the Rotax headlights dating from 1932. On the other hand it could also have been the chassis of a six-cylinder F-type Magna. Anyhow, this project never went beyond the early development stages.

Too slow! :whistle:

http://www.prewarcar.com/magazine/previous-features/more-mg-for-d-day-013877.html

Last edit: Post by MartinW.

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 9 months ago #56492

• PQD44's Avatar Topic Author
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
All I want you to tell me is;

1) the current price of a new race prepared MG Metro Turbo, as used in the MG Metro Turbo Challenge and

2) the function of the Nickel plated Neodymium Iron Boron magnets?

Re: MG T-Bar Quiz 11 years 9 months ago #56547

Don't know about number 1 but is number 2 to replace the Dilithium crystals when the warp drive needs more power??? :coat:
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Time to create page: 0.267 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT