Sign In   Register

Topic

how did you end up with.. 10 years 6 months ago #130375

your F / TF?
i mean no one would actively choose one, right? :P
having first driven them when they came out, i wasn't particularly yay or nay about the car really.
years passed. lots of them.
then as if my magic, the MGF came to me as an 'economic write off' needing hours of tlc.
and it has grown on me, bloody thing, so it's staying. :yesnod:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

how did you end up with.. 10 years 6 months ago #130377

It was my mums before mine.
She bought a porsche and was selling it.
I suggested as I was single after a year of separation that i'd take it off her hands to sold my Volvo. Never looked back!
The following user(s) said Thank You: really?

how did you end up with.. 10 years 6 months ago #130378

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
Is that because all you'd see is your spoiler :lol:

how did you end up with.. 10 years 6 months ago #130380

I've always hankered after a soft top sports car. I couldn't afford the insurance first time around though.

I decided to buy Sheila one for her :whistle: th birthday. Went looking at MX5s, but didn't like them or their prices. I saw some MGFs on my travels and bought one of those instead, knowing nothing about them.
Luckily got a good 'un.
David
:shrug:

how did you end up with.. 10 years 6 months ago #130381

I unfortunately became the proud owner of a 2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur tourer in CopperLeaf red.
(Unfortunately because it was my fathers who sadly passed away, but I've since come to realize that he had good taste in cars). We didn't need two big estate cars so we sold our Volvo V40 and picked up a lovely little MG TF 135 Sunstorm in as near as we could get matching colours (Nightfire red) for the school run. Everyone said we were mad selling a big, reliable & safe Volvo (which they thought was the ideal car for a school run) to change for a little unreliable impractical two seater.

3 years down the line, everyone has changed their cars for various euro boxes but we've still gout out TF and had a blast, with runs out, meets, trips to Racetracks, etc...and we've made some great freinds along the way. :beer:

I could never see us doing any of this with a modern euro box or the old Volvo. :nonod:

how did you end up with.. 10 years 6 months ago #130382

:bust: :lol:

how did you end up with.. 10 years 6 months ago #130385

I bought the F off the neighbour as his daughter got pregnant and told him to buy a car with more that 2 seats. The garage offered him £500 trade in which was an insult as the car was sound so I stepped in and gave a sensible offer. The MG has been one of the few cars I have enjoyed driving and tinkering with. It has a character that the Euro boxes cannot deliver and even through its many issues I wouldn't really consider selling - unless its to by another one :-)

how did you end up with.. 10 years 6 months ago #130391

Meg - About 6 years ago my Rover 214SLi (wedge) had engine failure on the M40 and dumped all its oil on the road... so I was on eBay checking stuff out and by accident saw Meg (She was listed as a Rover MGF and I was looking at Rovers - I had worked for them so was very loyal LOL). She was in West London where I had a client meeting the following day, so I went and took her for a test drive. She was filthy, had what looked like a barnyard of straw in her boot, and the girl who owned her had just had the HG fixed, oh and she was cheap. So I paid cash there and then and drove her home! Not looked back. She's been the most fun car I have owned - equal even to my first car - a 1967 Mk1 Mini (also Hydrolastic).

Felix - Aquired him on a whim a month ago when checking Gumtree for parts - he was cheap and still needs his HG fixed! £250 - not bad for a 2003/4 Sunstorm.

how did you end up with.. 10 years 6 months ago #130392

not funny!! lol
or true - visibility is excellent :p

how did you end up with.. 10 years 6 months ago #130393

I bought Ellie (LE) after test driving an MGTF for my step son...I enjoyed it so much better than riding bikes and although much less powerful than the Hawk 289 which I sold a few years back was still hugely enjoyable. Got the thumbs up from the OH as she has aircon and a wind thingy (stops 'er hair blowing in the wind). :drive:

...and fortunately its just one of those cars you can't (dare to) stop tinkering with... :hgf:

Matt also bought the TF we test drove so we now have 2! :beer:
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

how did you end up with.. 10 years 6 months ago #130395

I had a beetle convertible for some 20 years before it succumbed to the old tin worm, I then became(according to my wife) unbearable driving in claustrophobic cars with no air! We passed an MGF at the side of the road for sale and decided that it would "fill a gap" for a year. The intention was to keep it for the length of the MOT then break it, four and a half years later I have stopped looking for a Beetle and wouldn't part with my F. :broon:

how did you end up with.. 10 years 6 months ago #130396

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
midlife crisis.
It was just time for a soft top.

Compared with MX-5, MR2, Alfa Spider and MGB.
TF was by far the most inexpensive option. And apparently the right choice.

:woohoo:
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT