i would imagine so, if you climbed right to the very top of it. :P

good thread. am enjoying the replies :drive:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

how did you end up with.. 10 years 7 months ago #130399

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
Good thread indeed, I'm watching this one :broon: , Time for tea me thinks ...

Last edit: Post by psymon.

how did you end up with.. 10 years 7 months ago #130405

I had a bit of spare cash and thought I might as well keep an eye out for something interesting, looked at all sorts of stuff from Jags to Alfas, even put a bid on a Maserati!
Saw the MG advertised at a sensible price, didn't bother looking at it as I always look for a bargain (my past as a car dealer showing) anyway it disappeared from the ads and I thought it must've sold.

A month or so later it reappeared in the ads, but at a greatly reduced price, so I went to see it. It turns out the seller is a MG mechanic who had to move back to the UK because of sick family. He had sold the car but the buyer kept mucking him about and he was running out of time to sell the car, so he re-advertised it.
He only had two days to go before he had to fly back to the UK, so I made him an offer with cash. He accepted my offer as I was the only one to come to see the car.

The car came with a full history, the original owner had spent a fortune on it and must've had enough when the dreaded HGF raised it's ugly head again, so he sold it off as is to the bloke I bought it off, who then rebuilt the engine feed it a new clutch etc. But he didn't get to use the car as he had to sell it before he got a chance to finish it.

So I put on a couple of new tyres, replaced a suspension knuckle, replaced the wiper blades and a globe or two, before re-registering it.
I figured I could have a bit of fun with it, then move it on at a profit.
It's been a great little car, and I'm in no hurry to move it on, in fact I seriously do think it might be a keeper.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: really?

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

how did you end up with.. 10 years 7 months ago #130412

Having worked as a Control Engineer for many years at Rover and having some input into design of the plant that built (actually painted) the MGF and watching them pass by my office window daily I always hankered after one, but family of four wont fit in two seats, anyway I have also had motorcycles as well but only left with my classic Triumph now which can be a bit temperamental I decided to get a more modern bike that the wife and myself could enjoy (Much to her trepidation, she hasn't been on the back since we had the kids) anyway came out of a bike shop unable to find anything suitable (read cheap enough)my wife said isn't that the car you used to watch go by as she had seen an MGF in the car park, why not get one of them she said, too much money I said, not that I knew just guessing, went home looked on autotrader and was stunned at the price they were going for (not a lot)looked for a good one, got disillusioned rang MGF Center for advice, they had a very good one for sale with all engine and coolant mods done, day later its mine. :woo2:

Re:Re: how did you end up with.. 10 years 7 months ago #130413

After nearly 30 years of family cars since I sold my TR7 Coupe I found my self in position to buy a sports car. I wanted a TR7 Convertible but Mrs Alanrt54 posted out that my TR7 was unreliable and rusty at 4 years old and she couldn't see one being any better now. She said she thought a newer and hopefully more rust resistant car would be better since I am a very reluctant mechanic.
I chose to buy an F because I prefer to buy British and the MX5, MR2 and Z3 were substantially more expensive for a given year.
So I did choose to buy my F.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edit: Post by alanrt54.

how did you end up with.. 10 years 7 months ago #130414

I always wanted an MG so I bought a BGT when I was 19 in 1989. had it for 3 great years, then started doing loads of travelling so had to sell it. Then in 2005 was able to buy my own company car and bought a ZT-T Diesel. Then moved jobs after 3 years so that had to go. Finally this year bought myself a Trophy 160, at these prices it would be rude not to. My dream though is to get a MGB GT V8 in damask or a 1968 (The year I was born) MGC.
Regards

Chris
If your going to have one, Have a big one!

how did you end up with.. 10 years 7 months ago #130422

I had a MG Midget Mk2 in my early 20s which I loved. Unfortunately it was written off big time while being driven by my girlfriend (who I also loved) with me in the left seat being a responsible 22 year old (an oxymoron?) because I'd been awake all night protecting the country from some Russian Bears. Roll forward about 36 years or so and the girlfriend, now the wife, decides it's time for a new racing dinghy. The day she ordered her new boat, I put down a deposit on the MGF sight unseen. When I collected it the guy selling it asked if I'd driven many and I had to say that I'd never even sat in one. No doubt this is some sort of sad quest for long lost youth but at the sort of prices MGFs go for, I decided if I really didn't like it, I wouldn't have lost much cash. Well, I really like it and the MG scene too. I think someone wrote that there are 3 types of MG owners: hairdressers, girls & old men...so I don't feel out of place driving one (even though I don't agree with the generalisation). Anyway, if it breaks down I can always use my bus pass.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

how did you end up with.. 10 years 7 months ago #130428

Always had motorbikes and had some great fun resurrecting, upgrading, riding, had a few spills over the years but the last one was a hard spill; the better half said no more bikes or she will go so I bought another bike! but she wasn’t joking; so I swaped it for a Sunstorm that needed a lot of TLC.

Had great fun over a long winter putting her right and better fun the following April driving her and so did the better half, which was great as she would never get on the back of the bikes. Kept her for a couple of years then saw the steppy which also needed TLC but came at a very good price.

Spent last winter getting the steppy roadworthy and put her on the road last April; we have some great runs out over the fab summer; and I now even use her as my main car.

It’s a real lazy man’s car to drive with the steppy box but flick the lever across and it’s fun mode.

how did you end up with.. 10 years 7 months ago #130435

A friend of mine got an mgf le 2000 for an early 60th bday present for her husband. As they posted photos on FB of them travelling down through sunny france I saw and I coveted. When I searched online I realised they could be picked up fairly cheaply so when my Dad came over in July we found one nearby to test drive. Despite the engine warning light on full time it was such fun! So, that lunchtime I was scanning auto trader and found one down in wales. We set off after lunch, test drove and paid a deposit all in the same day.
I intend to take my mum's ashes on the road trip we planned but never got to go on. I realise that sounds over sentimental and a bit odd but I don't care, she would have adored my MGF VVC and I need one last road trip with her. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mogatrons, Smutmeister, really?

how did you end up with.. 10 years 7 months ago #130448

In early 2007 we were shopping in Cleveleys when it poured down as we were making our way back to the car so we nipped into a car showroom for shelter my wife spotted an 02 TF in Trophy Blue she always fancied an MG so despite my reluctance she paid £10K for it we are now on our 3rd TF & have driven them to such places as Norway & Croatia on trips with the MGFregister, so I'm really a reluctant MG driver & still prefer motorbikes for my fun days out!!!

how did you end up with.. 10 years 7 months ago #130450

We bought our 3rd 'F last year outta the trader from a woman who used it to take her mum shopping at the weekend.
It wasn't the colour we were after but sounded just right, low mileage, taxed & tested with full history including the head gasket replaced and at the right price :broon:

So right that we were gonna go for it there and then at 8pm!!! But the woman's husband had gone to work in it!! :nonod:
We had to wait till next morning to go get it so we insured it just in case we bought it :yesnod:

It's been a terrific little car that's only needed a few little bits doing to it and eBay bling fitted!!

Best car I've had for a long time and certainly a better buy than the XJ6 jag I wanted!!!

It's also nice that there's a strong community with some great friends connected to these funny little cars

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

how did you end up with.. 10 years 7 months ago #130451

I had an "old age crisis".
I have the travel bug, exploring places under my own steam.
After retiring I bought a motor cruiser & explored the UK & France - fantastic. But the economics & physical requirements [the missus having to jump on & off the boat when mooring/locking :whistle: ]
decided we needed another form of transport.
So we then bought an old but good motor home, which again we used to travel around Britain & Europe for several years.
Again age & cost factors resulted in a reluctant sale.
What was I going to do now ;) Could use the Xsara, but that would be no fun.
One day on looking at the local Co-op for sale notice board, I saw an mgf for sale. Bingo :woohoo:
As I had been a test driver at Rover when they first came out, I knew I had to have one.
Didn't buy the one from the Co-op though, but got a good 'un off ebay.
Haven't looked back. except at the bills :dry:
Enjoying life again now, the only problem is the missus refuses to go in it saying it's too low & I drive too fast :bust:

Last edit: Post by Forrester. Reason: wrong text
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT