Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

P scan and diagnostics 2 weeks 1 day ago #206554

I suspect the answer is no but it is worth asking.
Can Pscan establish if the engine map installed in the ECU for a MGTF 135 has ever been upgraded?
I doubt it will tell me what the map is but it might interrogate that ECU to see if it has been changed since the car was produced.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

P scan and diagnostics 2 weeks 1 day ago #206556

I'd recommend pasting and posting this into the PSCAN sub forum as their guy doesn't tend to check the other sections such as this.

If they cant answer for certain then note down the ref numbers from your ECU, your reg and VIN and write to both KMAPS and SAWS to see if they have a record of having remapped that ECU.

Its a bonus if you do have a remapped ECU from one of them as it increases engine smoothness and efficiency.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.

P scan and diagnostics 2 weeks 1 day ago #206557

I suspect the answer is no but it is worth asking.
Can Pscan establish if the engine map installed in the ECU for a MGTF 135 has ever been upgraded?
I doubt it will tell me what the map is but it might interrogate that ECU to see if it has been changed since the car was produced.

Do you have passive engine immobilisation working? In other words can you start your engine without any use of your fob?

P scan and diagnostics 2 weeks 1 day ago #206560

In answer to the question regarding "can I start the engine with key alone?" , the answer is at this point in time I don't know. I'm fairly certain that the answer is "No" because when I bought the car it only had one functioning fob and key. In other words I had a spare key (and possibly a fob but that fob either needed a battery or re synchronising). The key itself would enter the petrol cap and possibly the door or ignition but not both and not the boot. After a bit of grinding and use of a file I removed some more metal and it would enter all locks and operate each one (but as stated without the fob no engine start as far as I can recall and there may even have been an alarm if tried (but it is a while back now).

P scan and diagnostics 2 weeks 1 day ago #206561

Roverlike will have asked that question specifically due to a known behavioral difference between a standard and remapped ECU so the answer needs to be clearer;
Cutting to the chase: Do you HAVE to unlock the door with the fob before you can start the car ?

E.g if your one remaining fob went missing would you still be able to open and then start the car just with the key ?
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.

P scan and diagnostics 2 weeks 1 day ago #206562

Thank you for the suggestion for further clarity.
At this point in time I have three keys each with their respective fobs. All three have been re synchronized using Pscan and all three work.
I can lock the car with the key and unlock it with the fob (any fob - Lucas type).
At this point in time I do not know if I remove a fob from the key ring whether the engine can be started by just entering the key in the ignition and turning it. For other reasons that have no bearing on this topic starting the car is not practical at the moment. I can go and remove a fob from a key ring, insert the key on its own in the door lock and unlock the car then put that key in the ignition and turn it to the first position without attempting to start the car and see what happens.
I'll do that and report back.

Edit
Using what I believe to be the original key (folding type with MG Logo) I removed the electronic fob and placed that some distance from the car. I then opened the car door with the key, put the key in the ignition and turned it to the first position that engages the panel warning lights. That immediately initiated a low level high pitch two tone alarm within the cabin but not the car horn alarm, although I know that works if I open the boot/bonnet without disarming the alarm. With the low level interior alarm sounding the red LED alarm was flashing.
In for a penny in for a pound determined that I would have a quick attempt to start the car with the intention to see if I could just get the starter motor to start turning. So, on turning the key there was no response apart from the continuing alarm total silence from the engine. I'm not even sure now if the fuel pump went through the motions or not I certainly was not listening out for that.

Last edit: Post by Delbourt.

P scan and diagnostics 2 weeks 1 day ago #206563

In answer to the question regarding "can I start the engine with key alone?" , the answer is at this point in time I don't know. I'm fairly certain that the answer is "No" because when I bought the car it only had one functioning fob and key. In other words I had a spare key (and possibly a fob but that fob either needed a battery or re synchronising). The key itself would enter the petrol cap and possibly the door or ignition but not both and not the boot. After a bit of grinding and use of a file I removed some more metal and it would enter all locks and operate each one (but as stated without the fob no engine start as far as I can recall and there may even have been an alarm if tried (but it is a while back now).

If you are certain that you cannot start the engine without using a fob, then you have factory map and your MEMS 3 did not pass through remap process.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delbourt

Last edit: Post by Roverlike.

P scan and diagnostics 2 weeks 1 day ago #206564

Thank you for that clarity. That at least answers one question when it comes to insurance quotations.

Now I just have to think about why there is a low level backfire when lifting off to change gear or on the overrun (unless that is normal for a TF135).
Revs at this point are most unlikely to be much above 4000 and probably lower. In due course I will have to pay more attention as to when that backfire takes place i.e. what is taking place at the time and what the rpm is.

P scan and diagnostics 2 weeks 1 day ago #206565

You didn’t have to remove the fob from the key ring, if only makes a difference when it’s buttons are pressed, it has no bearing whatsoever if it’s merely within close proximity.

I t think that perhaps you are reading a bit too much into this misfire business. A small burp and fart on the overrun is no great problem, if it were to sound like a shotgun going off then that should be a matter of concern.
So the question is does it sound like a 12 gauge shotie going off next to your ear? or is it more like a minor bowl growl in the underpants?
If it’s the former then you most likely have a problem, or if it’s the latter bottom burp then relax sit back an enjoy the car.and it’s idiosyncrasies.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

P scan and diagnostics 2 weeks 1 day ago #206566

He has MEMS 3 MG F which have later Lucas 5AS alarm box. That box have exciter ring around ignition barrel and if fob is on the key ring, the ring will induce fob to transmit signal and behave like you pressed the unlock button on your fob. So in this case he needed to remove fob from key ring to know if passive immobilisation is active or not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

P scan and diagnostics 2 weeks 6 hours ago #206570

The fact that a remap means that the proximity of the fob is no longer required prompts an interesting thought.
At present there is an electronic ring around the column which must have in it an “electronic switch” of some sort, and as far as I understand it that ring (Rotary Coupler - YRC100410) is required to be operative for the horn to work.
So does a map upgrade mean the horn no longer works, or is the ring still functional requiring the fob to be in close proximity for other functions such as horn to still work.
I suspect the answer is yes.

P scan and diagnostics 2 weeks 5 hours ago #206571

Ring I am talking about have nothing to do with rotary coupler. This is ring around ignition barrel where you insert the key and it is directly connected to 5AS alarm box. When key is inserted into ignition barrel ring starts working, inducing fob to emmit signal needed for passive immobilisation to be stopped. When engine is started signal is no longer needed since passive immobilisation is not active. That is all to it. No other purpose of that ring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delbourt

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT