Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hood & frame cross compatability 2 months 4 weeks ago #205618

Do I understand correctly that you can take the hood and frame off any F or TF and it will fit any other F or TF?

Confirmation would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hood & frame cross compatability 2 months 4 weeks ago #205619

I believe that is the case.. for a given value of 'fit'.

Fettling is normally required, guides for which are here on the 'How to' section.

Hood & frame cross compatability 2 months 4 weeks ago #205621

When I had both f & tf I transposed hoods, the better at the time from f to tf & then the poor hood went to ‘Bitz, who supplied me with a glass screened replacement.
I experience no problems with either.
M

Hood & frame cross compatability 2 months 4 weeks ago #205623

Yep, it's just 4 bolts to swap a soft top & frame over. I thought it would be a ghastly job but it took less than half an hour to swap.

Remove the 3 screws along the top of the T bar plastic cover, pull the T bar firmly forward to release it's plastic clips and then move it out of your way .

Release the hood clamps at the front

From the inside, release the 5 wire buckles that secure the rear edge of the hood to the body. [It may be easiest to remove the shelf carpet and sound deadening felt to access the clips].

At each side undo the 2 large bolts at each side bracket. Get one or two averagely sized general purpose humans* to help you at this stage as the hood frame is an awkward shaped thing to hold and carry.

Once the bolts are removed the hood & frame can be lifted away.

Refitting should follow the reverse of the above procedure.

As with Airportable I also opted for a screen with a glass rear screen this time, which i bought second hand from Darren at 'Bitz. After a light clean and a quick splash of waterproofing treatment it was good as new.

* No general purpose humans were harmed in the rehearsal of these instructions
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.

Hood & frame cross compatability 2 months 4 weeks ago #205629

Thanks. My existing hood has tears in it's in layer so I doubt it is waterproof though I've been running with the hardtop since purchase back in September.

I like the idea of fitting hood and frame as one much more than fitting a hood to my frame. I've done it in the past on the Sprite but that is a much simpler affair.

Hood & frame cross compatability 2 months 4 weeks ago #205643

Early mk1 F had a different design hood and frame.
The early frame fits all models of F and TF but only the early hood fits the early frame.

Late frames fit all models too but only the late hood fits the late frame.

The early hood has seams that run front to back, later hoods have seams that run side to side.
The change over date from early to late hoods was mid 1997, half way through the run of the mk1 F.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT