Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hood upgrade 5 months 3 weeks ago #204692

I'm currently running with a hard top (bah, why didn't they fit gutters, even my Sprite hardtop has gutters and that's 50+ years old) but will need a new / better soft top come the Spring. I'm aware the hood was modified at some point (two seam / one seam) and my car is a very early one and presumably has the two seam.

Is the one seam hood significantly better. I understand to fit it I'd need to source a later hood frame but I suspect that won't be hard.

Should I be going down this route?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hood upgrade 5 months 3 weeks ago #204697

My f is a couple of years younger than yours & I really can’t remember how many seams it had originally & I’m guessing it now has one, laterally over the (glass) rear window.
The two seamed one had left & right side pieces & a central section which encompassed the zip out window. IIRC.
But
I’ve just lit the fire, which is roaring up the chimney, making my morning very pleasant indeed, so if you think I’m going out into the eye of the storm, down to the garage in order to count soft top seams, I’m afraid the answer is no.
Anyway. I’ve always been an adherent to the the first iteration of a design being optimal for the job & any subsequent changes being governed by cost, however in this case I suspect that it was a better (as opposed to cheaper) way of doing it.
The chances of finding a twin seamed soft top to keep the car period correct would be slim, so I would get yourself, providing you don’t want to buy the cover & a newer frame, to fit at your convenience, a ready done offering from the several suppliers.
I bought mine from MGFnTFBITZ I Glossop for no better reason that I’ve had parts from them for as long as I’ve had the car; they are a professional & personable crew. Five star.
PS I did ultimately go down to the garage, I’ve just had some 20mm threaded rod delivered for another job; it’s not all MG fun you know & as I thought I have just the single lateral seam.
M

Hood upgrade 5 months 3 weeks ago #204699

The Mk2 hood fits better than the Mk1. I have a 1995 F and when the original hood needed replacing, a bought a later, complete Mk2 hood and frame from MGFnTFBitz, which they happily packed up and shipped to Canada for me, great service.
Mark
95 MGF
The following user(s) said Thank You: JeremyC

Hood upgrade 5 months 3 weeks ago #204711

+1 for the quality of good used hoods from Mgfntfbitz.
My replacement hood with a glass screen is like new and arriving as it did already on a frame meant I was able to fit it in half an hour with 1 helper = just 4 bolts
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Hood upgrade 5 months 2 weeks ago #204715

I’ve seen horror stories on replacing the soft top, with traumas that have subsequently marred peoples lives.
Half an hour, possibly little more if your +1 person isn’t as wick as might be & the four bolts.
A little post position piddling & it’s taught, tidy & tremendous.
M

Trim paint Smokestone ? 5 months 2 weeks ago #204718

I recently redid my hardtop headlining. Once I'd stripped out/ scraped off/ swept up the remains of the thin disintegrated foam layer I re-glued the original vinyl to the biscuit with Bostic spray on contact adhesive.

It did take several goes to get right and doesnt look quite as smooth towards the back as i'd have liked but so far it's not gone baggy.

Im not sure why the recommendation is to use new vinyl as the existing stuff, at least on my hardtop was perfectly good so buying a new bit of vinyl would have just caused more work cutting it to shape.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.

Trim paint Smokestone ? 5 months 2 weeks ago #204752

Thanks for all your input folks. It sounds like if I do replace the hood then going for a later type would be well worthwhile.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT