Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Flat Battery - headlight issue 1 year 2 months ago #201100

Hi folks, I wonder if anyone can shed a light on the issue I am currently having with my 2003 MGTF. After not using the car for three weeks when I went out the battery was flat and turned out that it wouldn't recharge. Luckily it was still under guarantee so I got a free replacement. The problem I'm having is when I reconnect the battery my dipped headlights come on and the only way I can turn them off is to disconnect the battery.

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago and I solved it by replacing the red ECU (if that's what it is called) which is at the back of the fuseboard in the footwell. My question is surely this shouldn't need to be replaced every time the battery goes flat or should I be looking at something else.

Really baffled - by the way I'm not in any way a mechanic or an auto electrician but I do try and do things myself if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Mike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Flat Battery - headlight issue 1 year 2 months ago #201101

MFU unit (red box behined fusebox) shoukd not have anything to do with headlights.
Only thing that can provide both dipped beams permanently on or permanently off is the steering column switch. If it is on, it might be stuck in connected position. In that case only replacement of the steering column switch will solve the problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikegeemike

Flat Battery - headlight issue 1 year 2 months ago #201102

Hi, thanks for the reply - I changed the steering stalk when this happened a couple of years ago and it made no difference it was only when I changed the EMU that the problem was rectified - I suppose it could have just been a fluke - I'm baffled by it to be honest. I could put the old stalk back on and see if that makes any difference. Would it be usual for two stalks to malfunction like this? It certainly is a puzzle.

Regards
Mike

Flat Battery - headlight issue 1 year 2 months ago #201122

Mike, it's an unusual problem. My first check would be the indicator/light control stalk, if this is serviceable then I would check the wiring harness back ton the main loom. If the stalk is disconnected and the fault is no longer there then its a stalk issue, if however there is still a fault then it would be a short in the harness between a permanent live feed and the headlights. This could still happen through the stalk though and a careful examination of the harness might be required. Check for any obvious signs of damage, either trapped wires or rodent activity! Hope that helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable, mikegeemike

Flat Battery - headlight issue 1 year 2 months ago #201123

On my F I had wiring loom problems along the L/H inner mudguard/ wing/ fender/ whatever you call it where you are.
It was a short circuit in the loom, maybe that’s what killed your battery.
I cut the tape away from the loom, replaced the damaged sections of wire and retaped it…been fine since.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Flat Battery - headlight issue 1 year 2 months ago #201124

Could be Kangaroos kicking crap out of your cables Cobber causing catastrophic carnage.
Just a thought!

Flat Battery - headlight issue 1 year 2 months ago #201125

Well the EMU arrived and has been duly fitted - hey presto problem solved. How bizarre is that.

Flat Battery - headlight issue 1 year 2 months ago #201126

Glad to hear you sorted it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT