Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

How to Fit a remote bonnet release 1 year 7 months ago #200013

That’s a valid addition & another bit of electronics to make inroads into what is a fairly basic car & something else demanding a few milliamps.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to Fit a remote bonnet release 1 year 7 months ago #200014

I think that would be pretty useful and I agree the risk is getting stuck with a ruined tyre. I regularly travel long distances abroad and at night. Classic car recovery Insurance is beyond expensive so I want to be able to fix it myself, or at least get back home. Ideally a dynamic Tpms would allow fine tuning of the handling.

How to Fit a remote bonnet release 1 year 7 months ago #200016

Very inventive, but there is one possible problem with your set-up, if the original bonnet cable's metal ring, that attaches to the bonnet release mechanism fails, like a friend's did, then the LR D1's cable fails as well.

I've fitted an emergency bonnet release cable that attaches in to the slot in the bonnet release mechanism, under the original cable's metal ring and drapes down behind the front bumper (it doesn't hand down quite a far as it appears to in the second picture).
Mark
95 MGF
Attachments:

How to Fit a remote bonnet release 1 year 7 months ago #200018

David, which sensor did you use on the pressure monitor, the internal type or the valve cap?
On the bonnet popper & the perceived weakness of the mechanism joint, I made a steal “solder tag” which I crimped & soldered to the Bowden inner. This was then passed over the mech’ hook first, with the boot cable on top.

How to Fit a remote bonnet release 1 year 7 months ago #200019

I agree it is a single point of failure and the ring was thoroughly examined for wear before trying this. I need another ring to swage onto the cable but didn't have anything strong enough around at the time. If I revisit it then that will be on the list. The access to the fuse box has been improved with inch lengths of half inch polyurethane pipe pushed over the heads of the turnbuckles It grips well and allows them to be turned without tools.

How to Fit a remote bonnet release 1 year 7 months ago #200021

David, which sensor did you use on the pressure monitor, the internal type or the valve cap?
On the bonnet popper & the perceived weakness of the mechanism joint, I made a steal “solder tag” which I crimped & soldered to the Bowden inner. This was then passed over the mech’ hook first, with the boot cable on top.

The tpms I used is the valve cap variety.
C68 USB+Solar Car TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor System with 4 External Sensors
Buy It Now
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable, minimax

How to Fit a remote bonnet release 1 year 7 months ago #200022

On the bonnet pop question, I used a standard boot popper kit, but replaced the catch spring with a lighter version, as has been noted, the popper would not overcome the original spring. Fitted for several years with no issue...:yesnod:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

How to Fit a remote bonnet release 1 year 7 months ago #200023

That is probably the best solution as it takes the load off the boot release as well. I will not be going electric, though. The boot release cable is metaphysically attached to the battery and will only snap if the latter goes flat.

Last edit: Post by minimax.

How to Fit a remote bonnet release 1 year 6 months ago #200050

Found a couple of half inch radio knobs. A couple of drops of super glue and I now have a tool-free fuse box lid.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.945 seconds