Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Fog Light Mountings 2 years 8 months ago #196709

Being a naïve new owner when I bought the TF I thought fog lights would look nice and bought a new OEM pair and they are still in the box cos mountings are no longer made and rarer than hens teeth. Maybe I'm tight (no maybe about it) but I object to paying what the lights cost for 2 bits of plastic, has anyone discovered a work around ie different make model that can be carefully modified (butchered) to fit.
Failing the above has anyone got a mangled bumper in their shed/garage that they would be willing to donate so I can then spend the winter pondering/experimenting a solution.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fog Light Mountings 2 years 8 months ago #196731

I'm sure they wouldn't be too hard to knock up if one knows how they work.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Fog Light Mountings 2 years 8 months ago #196732

my thoughts entirely, how do they work? I have only seen some photos on ebay etc and can't find a thread on it. I can take the bumper off and try to figure a fix, how long will that take? meanwhile no TF and it's summer (Allegedly).
One photo I've seen seemed to show some workings that appeared to be an adjustment mechanism, I presume L/R up/down but don't know for sure. I had already considered adjustment and thought it might be achieved with washers under one or more of the 3 fog mounts to achieve the desired beam direction but do not know for sure that will work.
I ask once again if you have a scrap smashed bumper as long as the fog holes are intact I'll drive a 100m and save you a trip to the dump.

Fog Light Mountings 2 years 8 months ago #196733

Some time ago I suggested here that: if someone has a pair of these the could be scanned and 3D printed.
I've never actually seen these parts, but I imagine that each one is made up of 2 pieces to allow for adjustment, being joined together with a screw or 2 on springs and/or a ball pivot.
You could print the components and then drill and tap threads to allow for the screws.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Fog Light Mountings 2 years 8 months ago #196743

I’am in the same position as you, one thing have you checked to see if the mounts are on the car apparently some have them fitted without the lamps.
Have found some pics on the net how the lamps are mounted there are two items one is glued to the bumper the other is the mount bracket which has the adjustments to the lamps. Hope this helps.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bertl, deepfat

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Fog Light Mountings 2 years 8 months ago #196749

Thanks a lot for your reply, the photos are exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.
To answer your last Q first, I have looked with an endoscope but not taken the bumper off yet, I can't see evidence of mounts but it's awkward and unclear I've only discovered I would be a shit Dr. To take the bumper off just to have a look and replace it seems pointless, to leave it off whilst I faff about means the car is undrivable so I was hoping to have a plan 1st.

Picture one appears to show a means of attaching studs to the bumper but does not look OE but home made, do you know where the photo came from? I'm thinking why bond the studs to attach the mount/spacer why not bond the mount/spacer directly to the bumper.

Picture two is the mount/spacer between the fog and bumper, a S/H pair of these are on ebay for £65!!

Picture three is the whole assembly but I see no means of beam adjustment which puzzles me, is it in the spacer if so how do you get at it?

Currently I'm thinking make a template of the fogs I have including the glass curvature and wander around car parks comparing it to common vehicles, when/if I find one get the whole thing inc adjusters and glass it in prob a lot cheaper than MG parts. I only bought the car 1st of June and I love driving it, its a keeper but every job I do I come up against Rover's penny pinching idea of design. I spent hours on line finding a perfect instrument binnacle with all tabs intact, tonight I cut the tabs off and epoxyed in stronger metal mounts as I know the originals would just snap when fitting, the nylon inserts at the front expand when the screw goes in and split the binnacle from the front so their toast as well.
Don't get me wrong I'm smitten who would have thought MG could make a car that drives and handles so well, it just needs a bit of ironing.

Fog Light Mountings 2 years 8 months ago #196758

Those pictures look nothing like the ones on my TF.
I Just sold a pair of fog lights and brackets on ebay

The outer plastic surround is screwed/bonded to the inside of the bumper, and the lights atached with three screws/bolts.

The adjustment is on the lamp itself, like the headlights.

The MGF and MGTF lights and brackets are completely different from each other

I do have a pair of new brackets also!
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by G0RSQ.

Fog Light Mountings 2 years 8 months ago #196759

Hi
Just checked the lamps I have and are the same as your pics with the adjustment built into the lamp.
Your arrangement looks much easier if you wanted to make your own mounts. It also makes things much clearer if trying to buy the mounts to get the correct unit. Thank you

Fog Light Mountings 2 years 8 months ago #196760

I'm not surprised that The mountings for a F are different to those of a TF, given that the bumpers are different.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT