Stainless steel manifold and downpipe 3 years 3 months ago #194927

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Postman87.

Stainless steel manifold and downpipe 3 years 3 months ago #194928

Shinny shinny!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Stainless steel manifold and downpipe 3 years 3 months ago #194929

Shinny Shinny it is. I've not long purchased 2000 F and I want to keep on top of maintenance. While fitting a new cat I noticed the down pipe isn't in the best of condition so better to replace now than wait for it to go.
I'm more interested in longevity than shinny shinny. A case of fit and forget. There a number of good prices at the moment for stainless steel manifolds and downpipes. I looked at a cheaper Toyosports but from experience I'm reluctant to purchase due to fitting issues in the past.
Important question is it worth it putting on stainless steel and will it last much longer.

Stainless steel manifold and downpipe 3 years 3 months ago #194930

I fitted this combo a few years ago. Last year i had to get the join between the flexi and the downpipe rewelded, as it had separated.
Apart from that, no problems.

Incidentally if you are replacing both parts, go for the 6 bolt version rather than that 4 bolt flange.
Much better design and is a direct replacement.

David
:shrug:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Postman87, Fisher

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Stainless steel manifold and downpipe 3 years 3 months ago #194931

Thanks for the reply David.
I take it the manifold to engine is exactly the same on both versions. The one on it just now is the 4 bolt at the flange between the manifold and the downpipe.

Stainless steel manifold and downpipe 3 years 3 months ago #194932

Yes. The manifold/ engine interface is exactly the same.

The 4 bolt manifold to downpipe was changed to 6 to solve numerous leaking exhaust gas issues at that point.
The pipework flow of the 6 bolt manifold is slightly different (improved) as you can see in the pics.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Postman87, Fisher

Stainless steel manifold and downpipe 3 years 3 months ago #194937

Should have said the MGF is a 1.8i VVC. Ebay listings tend to have separate listings for 1.8 vvc engine cars.

Stainless steel manifold and downpipe 3 years 3 months ago #194952

Is this a rebrand of the Toyo exhausts as I can't see Toyo on eBay.

If so I went from the O/E 4 bolt to 6 bolt on my mk1 VVC.

You can fit a VVC exhaust to a non VVC model, the outlet on the head is the same.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Postman87

Stainless steel manifold and downpipe 3 years 3 months ago #194959

talkingcars" post=194952
<quote>Is this a rebrand of the Toyo exhausts as I can't see Toyo on eBay.

If so I went from the O/E 4 bolt to 6 bolt on my mk1 VVC.

You can fit a VVC exhaust to a non VVC model, the outlet on the head is the same. </quote>

You could be right about Toyo rebrand. Gravity is just Japspeed in a different guise. They supply but don't maqnufacture parts.
As for Toyosport, they are still on ebay. My choice was between them and Gravity. In the end i went for the 4 bolt gravity as the the 6 bolt Toyo was listed as a cat delete manifold so i decided to go like for like. Could be with me tomorrow as they use a 24 hour service, my sister company Parcelforce. May take longer due to volume of parcels they are dealing 
with. Not in a hurry , not required for MOT and they wife has me decorating anyway.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars. Reason: To tidy up quote.

Stainless steel manifold and downpipe 3 years 3 months ago #194969

In the end i went for the 4 bolt gravity as the the 6 bolt Toyo was listed as a cat delete manifold so i decided to go like for like. 

They are slightly incorrect, the fron't mounted K series have a pre-cat in the downpipe, the rear engined MGF/TF don't except for the LE500.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Postman87

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Stainless steel manifold and downpipe 3 years 3 months ago #194971

Got one on the shelf , but i am still in doubt,  iam afraid to loosen the bolts where the manifold is attached to the block. A little scared, if one breaks, then what? Can that still be repaired without removing the entire engine from the car?

Stainless steel manifold and downpipe 3 years 3 months ago #194973

They are slightly incorrect, the fron't mounted K series have a pre-cat in the downpipe, the rear engined MGF/TF don't except for the LE500.

In the photo for a 6 bolt, listed as cat delete, you could see the hole for the sensor in the downpipe. In the end i just chickened out in case there were any problems. This was even after David explained to me the benefits of the 6 bolt version. I've always had a problem with the compatibility on ebay, i never trust it. The parts have now arrived and are stored in my garage until I get around to fitting them.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.113 seconds