Sign In   Register

Topic

Brakes 14 years 3 months ago #9691

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Well, I have just won a little modification that I am going to try.

I might have to do it round Phils house as he s now the expert on brakes.

I have just won a 280mm disc and conversion set for the rear brakes for £132.

Is it a bargain?

Well, VHS do a 266mm brake conversion kit for around £395.50.

So, if they work as planned then they are slightly better and cost £263.50 less.

They allow you to keep your current callipers while increasing braking torque and thermal dissipation. This does away with problems involving the hanbrake mechanism etc that you may get if you change the callipers.

I will try changing them first with no change to the front brakes or the pads and see how it compares. I will then be fitting my new bargain EBC drilled and grooved discs and maybe greenstuff pads all round and see how that does.

Hopefully I will be able to give you some sort of advice on whether it improves braking or not.

It is also designed to fit under 15" wheels as well.

These are the discs and spacers. You also get spigot rings and stainless bolts etc.

Not sure that is mounted right to be honest, as the spacer moves out a bit so I would have thought you mount it on the inside of the spacer bracket.

This is what they look like behind the 11 spokes.

And behind the 15" wheels.

You have to admit, at the very least, they fill the wheels out better and improve the looks drastically. Lets just hope they work.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brakes 14 years 3 months ago #9706

Clive mate,
you're more then welcome bring them to my house and I'll happily fix them onto my car :hehe:

definitely worth a try at that price :yesnod:

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: Sir Clive the ebay brake bargain king :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Brakes 14 years 3 months ago #9707

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Ha. Just need some bargain greenstuff pads now. :whistle:

Brakes 14 years 3 months ago #9712

Interesting!:yesnod:

Looking at the kit, it appears that would also work for the front. :dunno: And keep the rears standard?

What happens when you need to replace the discs? What are they from originally?:dunno:
David
:shrug:

Brakes 14 years 3 months ago #9715

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I did ask that and the seller said that they are OEM discs machined to fit. He said he can supply the discs. It would also be possible to buy some 280mm discs and have them machined to suit, so not really a major problem.

Brakes 14 years 3 months ago #9728

It would be really interesting to know the measurements of that spacer block, I could feel a garden shed nock out a dozen moment coming....lol

Well ok a milling moment, but still in the shed...lol I'm sure 280mm discs are standard on some rover/MG

As for the pic of the spacer, I remember a guy putting that up on .Org when he was mocking it up.......I remember because everyone was saying its mounted wrong, but he insisted it would work like that....logic still says if you put it on the other way the disc would be in more of its original position

Pleaseeeeeeeee measure the block....lolol I'll do them at cost.....lol
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Brakes 14 years 3 months ago #9733

Not sure that is mounted right to be honest, as the spacer moves out a bit so I would have thought you mount it on the inside of the spacer bracket.

I would agree, but maybe the different disk resolves this?

I've always wondered about this mod; as the braking force doesnt change does it? same caliper and carrier so the same PSI on the disk, so i suppose only the heat loss and looks? Does that sound right or am i missing something?

Great pics as ever CJJ. I have to say i do wish MGR had filled the rear out a bit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Brakes 14 years 3 months ago #9738

I would agree, but maybe the different disk resolves this?

I've always wondered about this mod; as the braking force doesnt change does it? same caliper and carrier so the same PSI on the disk, so i suppose only the heat loss and looks? Does that sound right or am i missing something?

Great pics as ever CJJ. I have to say i do wish MGR had filled the rear out a bit.

the braking force is proportional to the force from the caliper and the leverage from the disc, so larger disc -more leverage better braking +better heat dispersion.Limits to braking force are more from tyre adhesion then anything else once you hace sufficient leverage.
Chris

Brakes 14 years 3 months ago #9746

It would be really interesting to know the measurements of that spacer block, I could feel a garden shed nock out a dozen moment coming....lol

Well ok a milling moment, but still in the shed...lol I'm sure 280mm discs are standard on some rover/MG

Pleaseeeeeeeee measure the block....lolol I'll do them at cost.....lol

Oh yes, I'm up for two of them:yesnod:
David

Brakes 14 years 3 months ago #9747

As for the pic of the spacer, I remember a guy putting that up on .Org when he was mocking it up.......I remember because everyone was saying its mounted wrong, but he insisted it would work like that....logic still says if you put it on the other way the disc would be in more of its original position

Perhaps the new disc has a shallower hub drum, and the moved position of the caliper is to compensate for that?

Did MG Maestros not have 280mm discs? Don't know, just wondering, it was/is a big car:dunno:
David

Brakes 14 years 3 months ago #9752

If someone has the time to search the .org threads I think he actually mentions what the discs are from......dam this photographic memory.....shame its only on time laps an misses the odd frame
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Brakes 14 years 3 months ago #9753

Oh yes, I'm up for two of them:yesnod:

Agreed :yesnod: Wouldn't mind some bigger breaks to fit under the 16" square spokes at the fronts too without spending £400+ :frown:

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT