Sign In   Register

Topic

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10184

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Have booked the car into kwik fit tomorrow morn to have a brake test. This way I hope to see tangable proof one way or t'other of whether it is any good. Once tested I will fit the kit and have it tested again so we can compare the results. They have said they will do the tests for free.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10192

Have booked the car into kwik fit tomorrow morn to have a brake test. This way I hope to see tangable proof one way or t'other of whether it is any good. Once tested I will fit the kit and have it tested again so we can compare the results. They have said they will do the tests for free.

Free?

Blimey!
David
:shrug:

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10243

I was just looking out the kitchen window like you do .....an looking at the disc's of my F

an a thought came to me, I've got drilled an grooved front an rear discs

why cant I just have 305mm disc on the rear as well as the front??

I've got 4pots on the front and standard calipers with small pads on the rear

This would sort the need of the centres, hub size etc, the 305mm would fit striaght on

BUT, would there be enough brake bias to the front ???

I thought about this for all of 2 seconds and came up with this, as standard the normal bog standard mgf has the same discs front an back, so with this in mind the centres etc will be the same, Yupp......and if they had the same disc's as standard then the bias would be the same if I increase both discs to the same size all be it increased

Only problem then would be, as mentioned before front are thicker and would they fit with new pads, maybe not......so my question is how much thicker is a vented disc to a solid one...well next problem just got my hands black ....24mm approx and 11m approx

next problem rear caliper carrier wont take that thickness an not enough on it to make it

soooo after all that Nope it wont work, unless the front caliper carrier will fit the rear caliper????? not found one yet so dont know
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10244

Well, how did it go Clive?:dunno:
Tell us - go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on.....
David

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10245

I was just looking out the kitchen window like you do .....an looking at the disc's of my F

an a thought came to me, I've got drilled an grooved front an rear discs

why cant I just have 305mm disc on the rear as well as the front??

I've got 4pots on the front and standard calipers with small pads on the rear

This would sort the need of the centres, hub size etc, the 305mm would fit striaght on

BUT, would there be enough brake bias to the front ???

I thought about this for all of 2 seconds and came up with this, as standard the normal bog standard mgf has the same discs front an back, so with this in mind the centres etc will be the same, Yupp......and if they had the same disc's as standard then the bias would be the same if I increase both discs to the same size all be it increased

Only problem then would be, as mentioned before front are thicker and would they fit with new pads, maybe not......so my question is how much thicker is a vented disc to a solid one...well next problem just got my hands black ....24mm approx and 11m approx

next problem rear caliper carrier wont take that thickness an not enough on it to make it

soooo after all that Nope it wont work, unless the front caliper carrier will fit the rear caliper????? not found one yet so dont know

handbrake ???????? :whistle:

thats the problem with the rear brakes :shake:

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10246

nahhh I ment front caliper carrier....with the rear caliper mounted on it

just trying to find easy ways to copy CJJ's kit, seems like getting the ford disc's machined may be the only way

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10261

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I went to Kwick fit this morning before bed.

They had quoted me £27.50 for the tracking. They set it up and told me that everything was within tollerance. they then said that I should take it to somewhere that does 4 wheel alignment to get a proper setup done. Funny, as I thought I had asked them. Couldn't help thinking that was £27.50 down the drain. Never mind.

They then set up the car on the brake tester and let me take photos of the results so that I can compare after the mods.

The rears were OK.

But the fronts would have failed an MOT as they were 30% out from each other.

Not a biggy as I am changing the fromt disks for the EBC drilled and grooved ones and fitting greenstuff pads, so I will have to check out the callipers while they are off.

Funny thing is that I can emergency stop, with my hands off the steering wheel and it doesn't pull at all. Weird

The bloke then handed me the keys and I asked how much, he said that's ok.

So it was all free.

He also said to just come back when I had fitted the mod and he would retest the brakes.

I know Kwik Fit often get slated on forums, but I really couldn't fault them. Top blokes in Kwik Fit of Ashington. :yesnod:

Now I have to fit the new rear discs and kit. Will see what the weather is like tomorrow.

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10262

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
And, just for Rough Luck, here are some pics.

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10265

But the fronts would have failed an MOT as they were 30% out from each other.

Not a biggy as I am changing the fromt disks for the EBC drilled and grooved ones and fitting greenstuff pads, so I will have to check out the callipers while they are off.

Funny thing is that I can emergency stop, with my hands off the steering wheel and it doesn't pull at all. Weird

He also said to just come back when I had fitted the mod and he would retest the brakes.

I know Kwik Fit often get slated on forums, but I really couldn't fault them. Top blokes in Kwik Fit of Ashington. :yesnod:

Now I have to fit the new rear discs and kit. Will see what the weather is like tomorrow.

As you say interesting on the fronts.

You would have bet that sort of imbalance would have meant it pulling to the right under braking.:dunno:

I know when we had an imbalance on the front caused by poor bleeding on one side, the car almost threw itself off the road under hard braking!

I wonder if you'll find a reason when you strip down the brakes?:dunno:
David

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10267

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Bleeding may be the problem. I do have a bit of spongyness that goes away when you pump the pedal. So that would suggest air to me. I did bleed the rears yesterday, but got rained off before I got to the fronts.

In fairness, I don't want to bleed the brakes now untill I have carried out the rear conversion and tested it, otherwise it may throw the readings.

I will give a full bleed though when I get my new greenstuff pads and fit the new discs to the front.

The car is slightly pulling to the left, but not when braking. This may be the brake dragging. I will check all this out when I do the fronts.

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10283

Cheers for the pics I really didnt expect them to be so accurate

is it only the holes on the discs that have been drilled (which way) or do they look standard??

I take it from your drawing on the block one step is 17.5 and the other side is 21, so are they right and left handed??

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT