Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

2nd Key Fob? 5 years 4 months ago #188607

Invalid or non-existent item ID.

Just get a set of these...only £4

Save all this butchery :-?

Ummm... good idea, but... aren't those 6 lobe Torx, and isn't the MG one a 5-lobe :dry:

I could well be wrong.

Correct , they are not Torx + . Look I am not wanting to start a forum argument as that's not what the forum is here for . If all you guys out there want to remove the pesky bolts that hold the BCU to the frame of the dash then its up to you which method you use , be it vice grips or trying to clatter the anti tamper pin from the center of a hard to see bolt then fine . All I am saying is if you have the correct tools it's sooo much easier .

I await an avalanche of replies . :P

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hogweed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

2nd Key Fob? 5 years 4 months ago #188608

Quite right :D

I’m going to have a quick look if the rain ever stops, just in case it’s held in with a Phillips screw anyway, as apparently some of them are… if not, I’ll order the correct bit from Technozen, who sell them ;)

I’m a massive believer in an easy life…
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

2nd Key Fob? 5 years 4 months ago #188609

Quite right :D

I’m going to have a quick look if the rain ever stops, just in case it’s held in with a Phillips screw anyway, as apparently some of them are… if not, I’ll order the correct bit from Technozen, who sell them ;)

I’m a massive believer in an easy life…

If you are posting your unit off to Tecnozen to have the fob programmed, may as well get them to replace the relays at the same time.

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hogweed

2nd Key Fob? 5 years 4 months ago #188610

If you are posting your unit off to Tecnozen to have the fob programmed, may as well get them to replace the relays at the same time.

Cheers – but they were done earlier this year by the previous owner ;)

Now then, just managed to venture out into the monsoon and wheek the cover off. Inside I found this Nokia HFU-2 thingy, which is presumably some kind of old mobile phone hands-free device – it doesn't do anything now I imagine, but I guess I’ll leave it there, on the basis that if it ain’t causing problems, leave it well alone…

I have various difficulties with back, eyes etc, so found this all a bit difficult to look at properly, but from what I could see, I was viewing the security unit thingy end-on? If so, I poked my phone in underneath the bracket closest to me, and got this poor quality pic of what appears to be the 5-lobe security Torx screw – am I looking at the right one though?

If so, and I remove it, does the box just slide out towards me? I’m one of those people who break things, so have to be careful that I know what I’m trying to do…

Thanks all :D
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Hogweed.

2nd Key Fob? 5 years 4 months ago #188616

Yes that's it . That's a good picture for a guy with a bad back ! Can you imagine trying to hammer the anti tamper pin out as was suggested ? When you remove both of these screws ( one either side ) the BCU will drop slightly but the plugs will restrict movement so, you need to release the anti back out's on the plugs and pull the plugs ( don't pull on the wiring ) to release them from the unit. The anti back out's are just latches that you push whilst giving the plug a wiggle . To be honest the hardest bit I found was the Torx screws, they were put in by a gorilla with huge arms ! :yesnod:

I have just sorned my TF until the spring so, I've nothing to play with now . :(

John

2nd Key Fob? 5 years 4 months ago #188618

Yes that's it . That's a good picture for a guy with a bad back !

Well, I just held the phone in the hole blind, and stabbed at the button – got lucky first time!

Can you imagine trying to hammer the anti tamper pin out as was suggested ? When you remove both of these screws ( one either side ) the BCU will drop slightly but the plugs will restrict movement so, you need to release the anti back out's on the plugs and pull the plugs ( don't pull on the wiring ) to release them from the unit. The anti back out's are just latches that you push whilst giving the plug a wiggle . To be honest the hardest bit I found was the Torx screws, they were put in by a gorilla with huge arms ! :yesnod:

Certainly wouldn't be easy for me to bash at it from that angle – also, as I said, I break things, so probably best not.

So is the one at the other end in the same place? And do you reach in from the passenger side, or have to take the cover off on the driver side too?

Luckily, mine’s been out already to have the relays done, so hopefully they won’t be too tight :D

I have just sorned my TF until the spring so, I've nothing to play with now . :(

Feel entirely free to pop over and sort mine out – I won’t be at all offended.
What do you do about your insurance when SORNing the car…? Do they let you suspend it???

2nd Key Fob? 5 years 4 months ago #188619

Yes you will need to get the other screw out from the other side of the car from behind footwell light panel . As regards popping over , I will decline your gracious offer kind sir .
The insurance is kept running as my TFis garaged away from home so it wouldn't be wise to not have it insured.
Getting back to the Torx screws , they were so tight I thought the bit that I bought from Technozen was going to round off . I mean why that tight ? It's not holding the gearbox to the engine ! ! !

John

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Spelling

2nd Key Fob? 5 years 4 months ago #188732

Yes you will need to get the other screw out from the other side of the car from behind footwell light panel

Actually, I didn't - it was quite easy to pull out in the passenger footwell with only that screw out.

36 hours after sending it off, I have it back from Technozen - excellent service I have to say - and the car's running again.

He also fixed the problem with very restricted range on the remote :bust:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

2nd Key Fob? 5 years 4 months ago #188737

Hi . Yes Paul gives a really good service . Did he sort out the second fob you wanted as well ? Glad you're all sorted and running again .
Have a great Christmas and New Year.
John

2nd Key Fob? 5 years 4 months ago #188738

Hi . Yes Paul gives a really good service . Did he sort out the second fob you wanted as well ? Glad you're all sorted and running again .
Have a great Christmas and New Year.
John

Yes all done and very quickly, for a reasonable price :D

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.869 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT