Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 8 months ago #187378

Hello all,

My MG F Trophy has a janspeed back box on. To me it doesn't sound right. When sitting at idle every so often it has a kind of low down 'putt putt putt putt' sound. I can't seem to capture on camera as my microphone is overpowered by wind noise and engine noise. It likes to shake a bit then might settle down, then will do it again, and repeat. Revs stay the same around 850ish mark.

I took it to my local garage I've used for years. They listened and didn't think there was anything wrong with it. But you know how you are used to a car and just 'know' when something seems wrong?

Is it my paranoia, or a rough idle, or more severe problem - misfire maybe?

Regards

John

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 8 months ago #187380

I have recorded a video. It isn't very clear through a phone's speaker, but when I have headphones on I can hear it. Hopefully it helps! It is most obvious to me from about 1:20 onwards.

Regards
John L
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Double posted video removed.

MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 8 months ago #187383

paranoia...
David
:shrug:

MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 8 months ago #187388

I didn't notice anything.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 8 months ago #187390

It is hard to hear I know, and I will try and get a better recording because it is so obvious in person but not so great on the recordings I try and do.

MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 8 months ago #187391

Was I the only one who "thinks" the exhaust is blowing?

MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 8 months ago #187392

There is definitely something up with it. It makes strange noises and the fumes don't come out smoothly, it kind of fires out in bursts.

MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 8 months ago #187394

There is definitely something up with it. It makes strange noises and the fumes don't come out smoothly, it kind of fires out in bursts.

Don't forget that over time carbon build up may change the sound of an exhaust's original note. Without other symptoms being evident, it's likely that you're overthinking it. It sounds nice and meaty to me. :broon:

MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 8 months ago #187407

Don't forget that over time carbon build up may change the sound of an exhaust's original note. Without other symptoms being evident, it's likely that you're overthinking it. It sounds nice and meaty to me. :broon:

There are a few things that might indicate it isn't just paranoia!

1.Coolant loss started with no external signs. Tried three different caps.
2. not so long ago (miles wise) previous owner had complained of poor running and garage said just keep an eye on it.
3. Not so long ago a code for a misfire on cylinder 4

I changed spark plugs and waiting for a fuel filter to change. Air filter was cleaned out. But when I first had the car after a while the IACV would need resetting as it would frequently get stuck at 1000- 1100, so I'm wondering if it is something to do with that, or if a cylinder is starting to misfire.

It is hard to explain. When you start the car up it starts about 1050 - 1100 revs and slowly drops, as I would expect. Idling at these revs the noise isn't present. As it drops to about 850 RPM that is when it starts. You get the normal noise exhaust noise then all of a sudden three or four boom booms or putt putt noises in a row where it shakes a bit. Longer you idle the more frequently the boom booms happen.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by gooseholla.

MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 8 months ago #187409

Hi G
Check out the inlet manifold. You probably have the plastic manifold which do warp and can lead to water loss, ie, internally and externally.
If it is leaking into a cylinder, then this could cause the problems that you have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, sworkscooper

MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 8 months ago #187410

I have the trophy 160 so it has metal intake. Do these leak as well?

MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 8 months ago #187411

Also on a side note why is this dirt or particles suddenly appearing in my expansion bottle?

Cheers for help so far people
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by gooseholla.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT