Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 7 months ago #187413

Get your head gasket checked.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidgv1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 7 months ago #187418

I would get a sniff test done, I would suggest that the chuffing is steam build up and the black bits are carbon.

A call to Jon Norris of Rough luck racing will confirm or allay your fears, he's a good guy and very knowledgeable reasonable prices for repairs too.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edit: Post by Steve.

Re:MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 7 months ago #187423

Today I replaced spark plugs and fuel filter to see if it was something to do with those. Still the same. I decided to get under the car, I thought if coolant not visible up above, then maybe down below.

This is below the engine at the gearbox, so cylinder 1? Does this indicate a leaking head gasket. Pinkish run down and the UV light highlighted it green - I had put some UV dye in the system to help try and find the leak. Looks mighty wet!

Re:MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 7 months ago #187426

IMG

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re:MG F exhaust 'putt putt putt putt" sound 5 years 7 months ago #187435

I'm going to attempt to change the inlet manifold gasket as 1. There seems to be evdience of wetness on the side of the manifold by cylinder 4 and also it can run round to that point on the head. 2. It is a nice bit of experience to bleed and refill the coolant system. 3. If it is the head gone anyway can't do any real damage in trying the IMG!

I also noted that the coolant pipes in the engine bay, those nasty mild steel ones are flaking and rusty, so probably time to change those over the winter too!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT