Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Removing & refitting the bottom pulley nut 6 years 3 months ago #183857

Hi, I'm new to T-Bar, and about to replace the cambelt on my 2009 TF (N-series engine, 14.5k miles).

The Rimmer Bros "how-to" video suggests using an air gun to remove the bottom pulley nut and I assume they use the same method to re-tighten it. I have a fairly comprehensive toolkit but I don't have an airgun or a flywheel locking tool.

Before searching for the locking tool, I thought I would ask if anyone had any other suggestions and/or advice. Many thanks if you do.
Steve G

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Removing & refitting the bottom pulley nut 6 years 3 months ago #183859

Hi Steve .
The crank pulley nut on all the K series engines I worked on were a really bitch to undo . In a workshop with all the tools at my desposal I found the impact gun and socket would undo some but not all and sometimes had to resort to Snap On's longest breaker bar to crack the buggers! On a two post ramp it felt as though I was going to pull the car off the ramp . It would depend if the N series is assembled by technicians with arms like The Mad Muller on steroids as to how tight their pulley nuts are . Have a look at the How to's on the forum.
Without a tool to lock the crank I think you will find it a struggle .
Regards John .

Removing & refitting the bottom pulley nut 6 years 3 months ago #183860

I have to agree with john.

I have done the job three times, the second time because I did not tighten the pulley bolt up enough !!

You can try it in gear with wheels on ground and brakes applied, but there is so much give and twist in all the components that you think something will break!

Spend the money on a crank locking tool (like I should have done first time) and save some real heart ache.

The bolt is really tight, and even then a long breaker bar (3-5 foot) will be needed.

Removing & refitting the bottom pulley nut 6 years 3 months ago #183861

If your anywhere near stoke on trent I could lend you the locking tools and large breaker bar.I used them on my tf with no problem.but like John said they are tight.

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Removing & refitting the bottom pulley nut 6 years 3 months ago #183867

I bought a Ryobi one impact driver for the job.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Removing & refitting the bottom pulley nut 6 years 3 months ago #183868

I would be interested how you get on with that I am thinking of buying one .

Removing & refitting the bottom pulley nut 6 years 3 months ago #183869

Haven't done the TF but a while ago I tried and failed to do a Citroen C5 HDI but then had to do another C5 hdi but the difference this time my mate lent me his unit with a air powered rattle gun it was a revelation don't know the torque's but it just undone it like it was nothing. Wont be trying it again without a gun.

Removing & refitting the bottom pulley nut 6 years 3 months ago #183873

Many thanks, it sounds like I need to invest in the flywheel locking tool.

Removing & refitting the bottom pulley nut 6 years 3 months ago #183874

Hi thanks for the offer, unfortunately I'm not near stoke, I'm down near the south coast.

Removing & refitting the bottom pulley nut 6 years 3 months ago #183875

I'll update the post when I've done the job, thanks for all your replies

Re:Removing & refitting the bottom pulley nut 6 years 3 months ago #183913

Hi, i did my TF160 belts today, my Ryobi one impact wrench took the pully bolt off. I used it to put it back on, then torqued it with car in 5th gear and brakes hard on. Maybe i was lucky? Impact wrenches are great, one of my best investments, whips wheel nuts etc off too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, Borypops

Re:Removing & refitting the bottom pulley nut 6 years 3 months ago #183916

I have a cheap electric impact gun (Came free with an impact socket set!) It isn't the best but has removed crank bolts from two K4s and a KV-6 without issues. (Cams locked, car in gear with a foot on the brakes and a strap wrench holding the pulley steady as insurance!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Borypops

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT