Sign In   Register

Topic

boot release cable 6 years 6 months ago #181333

just wondering if anyone has put a manual boot release cable on a mgtf, as the electric one would be of little use if you have a flat battery.:-?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

boot release cable 6 years 6 months ago #181335

Years ago my trusty old Rover 600 GTSDi had a boot release cable which was operated from a lever, from under the front drivers seat. The lever looked just like the one fitted in the TF boot to open the front bonnet. I've often wondered if the parts could be interchangable between Rovers and TFs?

boot release cable 6 years 6 months ago #181336

Thanks, I was thinking of a mini bonnet cable as it should be short enough to not to have to chop it down to fit. the problem would be where to locate the leaver ???????????????

boot release cable 6 years 6 months ago #181337

Am I missing something here because I use my key to get into the boot?

boot release cable 6 years 6 months ago #181339

Am I missing something here because I use my key to get into the boot?

Me too.

I've got an electric boot kit to fit but as a safety measure if I locked the keys in the boot.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

boot release cable 6 years 6 months ago #181340

I have an electric boot release fitted to both cars, it was one of the first jobs done, for the very reason Mr Lawrence gives. However when approaching the car, having done some shopping say, rather than letting myself in, sitting down, turning the ignition on, poping the boot, getting out again & then opening the boot, I use the key. Also the key works irrespective of the battery's state of charge.

boot release cable 6 years 6 months ago #181354

yes we know we all have one or two keys. but what if you lock them in your boot by mistake one day, people have done it.

boot release cable 6 years 6 months ago #181360

If you keys are in the boot how are you going to open the car to get to any auxiliary release?
With an electric release you can run the power cable down the transmission tunnel under the oddments box, then if you are unfortunate enough to lock your keys in the boot then you can link in there. Your battery would have to be very flat if its incapable of delivering sufficient current to operate the lock motor & a battery in that state isn't going to start your car.

boot release cable 6 years 6 months ago #181365

Hi there-I have boot release solenoid systems fitted to my previous MGF and to my current MGTF both operated by a secret switch and relay inside the car.
The system was meant to prevent your keys being locked into the boot accidentally -it use to happen a lot on MG Club outings especially when yo were getting picnics out of the boot or making tea on the tea bar. grille. Usually if this happened the car was unlocked so you could push your magic switch and pop the boot to get your key and drive home instead of calling the break down people to smash your light cluster.I am getting to the point honest..on our MGF the alarm sounded if you accidentally opened the boot by the key method ( this was a fault in the boot wiring) ,but it always meant that the car had to be unlocked first. MY MGTF doesnt have a fault in the boot wiring so the boot can be unlocked without the alarm going off -this then raises the possibility of dropping the key in the boot on an outing (getting your picnic say) the car locking and you cant get to your magic switch !!
Does anyone agree that the boot release solenoid system could lead to disaster in the above scenario and what approach could be taken to obviate disaster--PHEW

Mike

boot release cable 6 years 6 months ago #181367

I agree, but disasters aside, it would be handy to have a lever to pull so that the boot could be opened without getting out from the car with the keys. Think shopping trips and the odd mechanical fixes. No electrickery, just a simple lever.......

boot release cable 6 years 6 months ago #181368

I can do that now with a standard solenoid boot release and internal switch-very handy when it is wet -just send your partner out :clap: :clap:

boot release cable 6 years 6 months ago #181369

sorry lads I was only asking if this would be a good idea, didn't think it would open a can of worms.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT