Sign In   Register

Topic

Hydragas - what are the options? 6 years 8 months ago #179870

So the fill pressure is correct. The question is what pressure does the gas reach under compression and is the valve MAN enough for the job?

As an aside - Being a scuba instructor I sometimes smile at the discussions of 400psi being HIGH pressure. A full scuba tank is pressurised to around 350 BAR! It is considered down to minimum at 50 bar or 730psi.
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Hydragas - what are the options? 6 years 8 months ago #179873

I hear ya David, Judy is also a scuba diver. That reminds me, we need to get her tanks recertified before next summer.

The worry is if the valve doesn't hold. Pressurised nitrogen is a lot more dangerous that pressurised water. Piping systems are almost always tested using water, not air, because of the danger associated with compressed air. Although 400 psig isn't high compared to 350 bar, if that valve were to let go it would do some damage to whatever is in its way.
Mark
95 MGF

Hydragas - what are the options? 6 years 8 months ago #179880

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Other thing to bear in mind is that pressure is force applied over a unit area: why a tyre blowout is an explosive release of energy despite only being a couple of bar pressure. Or three above absolute vacuum.
One bar is 1 kg per square cm, or a bag of sugar resting on an area about the size of your thumb nail.

Useless fact of the day!

Our power plant boilers run at 180 bar pressure, when they fail it's superheated steam that chases you. 😳
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Hydragas - what are the options? 6 years 8 months ago #180139

Hi to all,

I have got an MGF 2002 from my wife when getting knowing her with a destroyed suspension.......

All spheres were without any gas left so all the sircuit was filled with liquid only, leading to a ...missing suspension behaviour.

Wanting to experiment a little bit I did the following which lasted for 1 year without any issue.
I let the car totaly down, emtying all the circuit and tried to get the majority of the hydrolastic out. Then car fully jacked up and filled with nitrogen first at each side with 8bar. Then slowly added the hydrolastic up to the correct suspension height.

The 8 bar was a rough calculation that I did (I can share more from this part) but overall the suspension behaviour is excellent.

As said, result lasted for more than a year, with almost 15 Euros of renting a nitrogen bottle and then adding hydrolastic fluid. Very cheap and effective for me. Of course this is easily applied if all spheres are at an identical situation so as not to have different suspension behaviors at any side.

Hydragas - what are the options? 6 years 8 months ago #180141

So you put the nitrogen in through the same valve as the fluid?
Is that right?:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT