Sign In   Register

Topic

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 11 months ago #159748

I've got a glass rear screen so nope - no worries there!

You can pop a strap attached to the drivers side clasp and use that to pull it up from sitting position - I had that in previous F... I will see if I can dig out the post / pictures later - but you use an old seat belt basically!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 11 months ago #159749

I see now, it wasn't you on the vid ! :-)
Thought of a strap but it's a bad sight to have a strap running over the wind breaker (the thing with the mesh... how is it called?)

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 11 months ago #159750

When i had mine it didnt go over the windstop....

Found the LINK

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 11 months ago #159754

OK off outside again to continue... going to connect the yellow wire (as it requires ignition switched power as far as I can tell) to the cigarette lighter wire as I hardly use that anyway and it is switched). Then it's try to figure how to mount the incorrect microswitch, follow the 'bulletins' included that mention a few things about extending the rams fully before adjusting etc... and away we go!

More later.

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 11 months ago #159756

Hmmm... feeling disheartened.

I disconnected the rams and set about powering up the system. Realised after connecting it that the cigarette lighter is not switched (!) and so disconnected that and joined to the stereo feed as that definitely is!

Popped the fuse in the permanent live from the underbonnet fusebox (neater than the direct battery fit recommended!) and ....... NOTHING!! No movement of the rams or noise from the pump....

I then realised I'd connected the miscroswitch wrongly - so tried again - STILL NOTHING!

So I checked for power at the new hood switch... power to all three power wires when the ignition is on. Also checked for power at the microswitch wires - yes. However there is no power getting through to the two feeds to the pump - GRRRRR I assume the electronic control unit feeds the power one way or t'other dependant on the switch position as there is only a black and a power wire to the pump.

Then it started raining so I packed up! HMMMPH

So I guess I need to discover why there is no power to the pump next. I am fairly sure that the only fuse is OK as that I have located in the underbonnet fusebox now. There weren't any other fuses in the wiring loom.

One thing I did realise is that I think this is a left hand drive kit - as not only is the microswitch bracket on the wrong side (I can run extra long wires to that so not a problem I decided... but also the re-sited instrument dimmer's wires are too short (of course if I'd used the LHD template on my RHD car for cutting the holes it would be fine! Another GRRRR

Any ideas greatly appreciated but I am now leaning towards the Hood ECU (hopefully there's a fuse inside?)...... why me!!!!!

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 11 months ago #159761

Have you tried to put power directly to the pump ??

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 11 months ago #159762

Be very careful about trying to wire the pump directly to 12V.

I cant imagine how running a pump one direction lifts the hood, and running it in reverse lowers the hood! (I am a hydraulic engineer, so maybe thinking to deep into it). Normally running a pump in one direction generates flow and pressure, reversing the pump normally destroys the pump :oops:
Would need to see inside pump unit to be sure, but if it uses a reservoir of oil i doubt the pump reverses!

as there is only a black and a power wire to the pump

I would suspect that the pump unit needs earthing to chassis, then I could see one wire runs the pump, and the other wire reverses the direction via a valve...

So power to pump only raises hood, power to pump and reverse wire lowers hood.

Of course that is how a hydraulic engineer would do it, but MGR????

Peter

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 11 months ago #159768

If only I could get a wiring diagram..... I certainly don't want to blow the pump up!

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 11 months ago #159770

You say there is only 1 wire to the pump, unless there is a terminal you've missed then the pump must earth through it's mounting.
So maybe the problem is poor earthing, due to being bolted to a painted surface, you could fit an earth lead between the pump and the car's body and see if that helps.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 11 months ago #159773

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a REALLY wierd system, and I haven't quite figured out the 'auto' hood back option... plus the microswitch isn't fitted yet due to the microswitch bracket being for RHD yet the hood bracket being LHD.. but at leats it works!

It is a very strange system. To make it work you have to start car, foot on brake, and then open a bit then use the down switch.... if you want to put it up then that works ok. As soon as you trip the microswitch as you are putting it up again it stops (safety mechanism which needs setting to stop the hood closing too much and damaging the rams).... but then you have to turn the car off and on again before the 'manual' switch works again.... all very odd.

Anyway I am less traumatised by the whole thing compared to yesterday! Will vacuum all the bits of crap out of him and take a few shots in a while....

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 11 months ago #159782

There a great accessory,never new they existed till i saw a mg accessory catalogue. :lol:

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 11 months ago #159791

Good news, well done.

It works in a similar manner to Audi Cabs of the same vintage.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT