Sign In   Register

Topic

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 10 months ago #159678

Good Man!

I have found out from painful experience that there is a reason that a lot of NOS parts are still NOS.
They were likely found to be NFG years ago and just put back on the shelf instead of being chucked out.
I was thrilled to find an NOS ZA-Magnette speedometer only to have it break a speedo cable because it was seized.
To add insult to injury I assumed that the old cable was at fault rather than the NOS speedo and wrecked a second one before I caught on! :doh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 10 months ago #159680

If you need other parts.. talk to the guys at http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts

I used them when re-making my Lambo door hinges and wanted some 'proper' struts and rod ends
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 10 months ago #159683

Cool thanks for the info..... if I can get the arm tops off (once I've got it working!) then I think rose joints are the way to go as they just appear to give less flex, plus the 'centre' is not as far away from the hood arm as the ball joint centre is.....

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 10 months ago #159684

Agree with you Rich - the reason stuff is left over after the 'bargain frenzy' when MGR collapsed is probably because it is either faulty or missing bits!

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 10 months ago #159710

Well the sun was out when I got home so I carried on with things...

Connected up the ram ball joints to the frame brackets:

Then I taped the fluid lines and cables to the rear bulkhead:

I then refitted the rear bulkhead sound deadening material after trimming it to fit around the ram brackets:

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 10 months ago #159711

Interesting thread! I'm starting to see why they were so horrendously expensive when new.
I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the installation and, of course the video of the top in operation! :broon:

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 10 months ago #159719

Interesting thread! I'm starting to see why they were so horrendously expensive when new.
I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the installation and, of course the video of the top in operation! :broon:

Oh I tell you - fitting is a right PITA! Bit's wrong shape/size etc.... on and the latest hilarity... the bracket with the holes for the micro-switch (to tell hood when its open) is actually on the wrong side (i.e. the holes are in the passenger side one when they are supposed to be on drivers side!).... sigh

But at least the wiring isn't too bad. Oh apart from the fact the new post-2003 fuse-boxes are COMPLETELY different and no longer have an accessory port to plug in to! LOL

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 10 months ago #159721

Can't wait to see it in action.

Been watching this thread carefully and am now looking for one for the wife's car as it'd be excellent for her being disabled.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 10 months ago #159732

Here's one working at POL last year:
http://vid591.photobucket.com/albums/ss357/MGFMania/PowerHoodMGF_zps8b76b964.mp4

Last edit: Post by mgfmania.

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 10 months ago #159744

Quicker than I was led to believe.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 10 months ago #159745

Blimey I was expecting it to be slow as a snail! Now I am eager to finish it!

Nightmare while fitting my electric roof 8 years 10 months ago #159746

Are you not afraid this way you'll have cracks in the window very fast ?

BTW In the Netherlands I could also benefit from electrical closing. I ve been pulling over at the side a lot of times because of sudden rain.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT