Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF Rear Bumper Mesh 9 years 8 months ago #148863

I've had the good fortune to score some polished SS mesh at work and am wondering the best way to install it in the rear bumper openings on my F.
If there was a flange around the openings it would be a breeze, but of course there isn't. :nonod:
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to attach the mesh?
Cutting it to size and making holes for the exhaust and tow hook isn't a problem.
I am thinking of using angle brackets bolted to the bumper with the mesh bolted to the brackets unless someone has a way to attach brackets or a flange using adhesive. It would be nice to avoid having fasteners showing. If so which adhesive?
Any hints appreciated!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Rich in Vancouver.

MGF Rear Bumper Mesh 9 years 8 months ago #148866

Hi Rich,

Whiz used 'sealant' to hold his in place. Albeit in a different location. Here's the topic. Clickety click.

Attachments:

MGF Rear Bumper Mesh 9 years 8 months ago #148874

Hi,

This is a mod which im going to do when i have sorted a few other things out but im going to use a repair putty. It comes in pellet form and you just mix it together between your fingers and basically stick it on. Ive used it before to repair all sorts of things and it works a treat as lasts forever. Paintable, sandable, waterproof and works on all sorts of materials. Always have a pack of this stuff in my toolbox. This pack was about £3 on ebay with £2 postage, Hope this helps.

Liquid Weld Metal Putty Exhaust Radiator Oil Sump Van Or Car Pipe Repairs Spares
Buy It Now

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: clicked insert

MGF Rear Bumper Mesh 9 years 8 months ago #148930

Thanks for the suggestions. I've actually used a similar repair putty to plug a leaky fuel tank on a TR7 but the problem with the F rear bumper is there is no flat surface to bond to, just a 4-5mm edge. It may be doable to use brackets to take the weight of the mesh at the top where the screws won't show and bond the lower edge. I'll have to give it a go on my spare bumper.

Re:MGF Rear Bumper Mesh 9 years 8 months ago #148932

How about folding the mesh edge around the opening and bonding that to the bumper?

MGF Rear Bumper Mesh 9 years 8 months ago #148966

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Just popped in for a quick 2 penn'orth. As you do.

If you remove the rear bumper you should see tags with 'oles in around the opening. You'll need some fold-over clips for self tappers, I know them as spire clips from days of old.
Simply cut the mesh oversize, slip t he clips over the tabs and screw the mesh on.

Worth taking the bumper off rather than gobbling the mesh on with donkey-snot.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

MGF Rear Bumper Mesh 9 years 8 months ago #148971

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
On the MGF there are no mounting holes for a rear mesh, unlike the TF.

Over a couple of years ago I fitted SS mesh using a flexible filler/sealant, think it was bathroom sealant from memory, just something I had left over in the garage. Wedged it in place until the sealant set and it's still there. :broon:

I didn't remove the bumper as I didn't go around the tail pipes.

The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Leigh Ping

MGF Rear Bumper Mesh 9 years 8 months ago #149002

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.

On the MGF there are no mounting holes for a rear mesh, unlike the TF.

Over a couple of years ago I fitted SS mesh using a flexible filler/sealant, think it was bathroom sealant from memory, just something I had left over in the garage. Wedged it in place until the sealant set and it's still there. :broon:

I didn't remove the bumper as I didn't go around the tail pipes.

Soz, I wasn't aware that the F didn't have the mesh tags to do a proper job.

Bog sealant/Gun-Gum/Wrigleys Spearmint it is then. :broon:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

MGF Rear Bumper Mesh 9 years 8 months ago #149009

My free mesh is quite a heavy guage and I am worried that bending the wire might start to pop the welds on the wire joins. If I attach the wire using brackets I do have a Riv-nut tool so I can install threaded inserts on the brackets letting me use machine screws, so that may be the way to go.
PQD, Not cutting the mesh to fit around the tailpipes makes sense. It's easier and less chance or rattling. I'll have to give it a good look. :broon:

MGF Rear Bumper Mesh 9 years 8 months ago #149013

MG plastic weld the mesh on the front.
I use sikiflex as it's designed for this sort of thing and cheap from work.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.035 seconds