Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Boot Vent Grill Bling Mod. 11 years 8 months ago #56263

• Whiz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Whiz
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
Applications from this IP address are limited in the number of calls they can make.So, you want to go from this -

to

?

Well, start by getting hold of:-

B&Q - About £8-£10 for the sealant and gun thing...

B&Q - About £3 for like a million (I only used 4, and so did Andy)

ArgoCity - £8.50 including postage although there are other mesh stuffs that people use. Benefit of this is already cut to fit and in two halves making it easier to position...

Once you have all the bits above, you are ready to rock and roll :)
I had never used silicone before, I had never used a tube gun thing before and I'd never done anything like this... I managed on my own, took about 30 minutes once id worked out what I was doing... P.S. Double sided sticky foam doesnt work :p

So, start by getting your mesh in place and secure with two cable ties per side. This is done by pushing the mesh up through the open section on the underside of the boot and then rotating once inside the open space to run parallel with the vent slots. If youve got long arms and good sense of direction at weird angles, you can hold and slide a tie through. Would probably be helpful to have a second pair of hands though - once in place, tighten the ties but not excessively to damage paint work or make it too difficult to snip off later.
Andy went for the straight across:

I went for a diagonal and contradicting direction to minimise slippage:-

After this, its where the fun starts - I dont have any pictures of from when I did it but with the boot open and via the access slot, start by slowly squeezing a small amount of silicone between a hole in the mesh so its above the mesh and sticking to underside of the boot and as you pull away, squeeze some over the mesh so its essentially trapped in the silicone... TIP - dont cut the silicone dispenser thingy too low down otherwise you get too big blobs coming out and wont go through the holes...

Do this at 8 spots around each section of the mesh to ensure itll be stuck evenly at least. Then, and this is optional, I went silicone crazy and just squeezed stuff all over as I was enjoying it so much! But make sure the silicone doesnt over flow to the visible part of the mesh through the slots! Its easy to trim off with a craft knife but an unnecessary step if youre careful!

Thats pretty much it! Leave it to dry over night or for a day, up to you, but at least several hours. Give it a feel from top and bottom to make sure feels secure and silicone dry and solid. If youre confident, take your chosen cutting implements to the cable ties and hey presto, shiny boot vent bling!

These are the underside pics the world shouldnt see! I guess it could be tidied with a knife - or do it better to start with :p

Left side...

Right side...

If you want a look in person, myself along with Andy1970h and Softly-Softly have this mod (there are probably a load more too) so just ask! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mogatrons, Leigh Ping, KentJohn, Yellow Peril, GOLDIE, threnos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Whiz.

Re: Boot Vent Bling 11 years 8 months ago #56264

• KentJohn
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Rediscovering driving
Nice One! Thanks for the tips Whiz
Life is not a rehearsal - carpe diem!

Re: Boot Vent Bling 11 years 8 months ago #56265

:broon:

BTW ... the sticky pads do hold .... if you clean the metalwork with thinners first. ;)

Mine have held fast for 18 months and counting. :yesnod:

Re: Boot Vent Bling 11 years 8 months ago #56266

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Nice one whizz welcome to the dark side apprentice scheme

Re: Boot Vent Bling 11 years 8 months ago #56267

• Whiz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Whiz
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
Applications from this IP address are limited in the number of calls they can make.

:broon:

BTW ... the sticky pads do hold .... if you clean the metalwork with thinners first. ;)

Mine have held fast for 18 months and counting. :yesnod:

Yours the pads with hooks or just blocks of double sided pad? I know some have used hooks like:

My stuff held to metalwork but didnt provide enough surface area between pad and mesh to hold...

Re: Boot Vent Bling 11 years 8 months ago #56269

Pads on metal base with metal hook ... fit nicely and the 'bendiness' (is that a word?) of the metal hook ensured a really tight hold.

On my old TF they held for over three years.

Re: Boot Vent Bling 11 years 8 months ago #56279

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Did ours with matching black mesh with the silicone method. I believe that there are also clips available to hold the mesh in place.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Re: Boot Vent Bling 11 years 8 months ago #56285

That's a great tip Whiz and the pics of your two cars are beautiful. A couple of stunners in those colours. Appreciate you taking the time and effort. I'll add this thread to the -

'BLING MODS' - Accessory upgrades & modifications to improve your cars looks. Click here to go there.

It seems like a few of you have done this mod already. Feel free to show your pics here guys n gals. Undersides too please. ;)

Here's a similar mod by BenSewell - Rear bumper mesh / grill mod - Grill meshing guide.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Boot Vent Grill Bling Mod. 11 years 8 months ago #57433

• tui
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop
Nice How To and well done! :broon:

-=Visit my Website!=-

Re: Boot Vent Grill Bling Mod. 4 years 9 months ago #190696

The important thing is get alloy mesh, bought mine from screw fix (alfer alloy protective door plate..7613P, £7.50 & enough to do 2 ) & mastic is an easy fix.👍
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Inserted photo

Re: Boot Vent Grill Bling Mod. 4 years 9 months ago #190703

Hi Whiz-great darkside mod--but does that bee sting antenna really pick up any fm stations?

regards

Mike

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT