Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 5 months ago #181706

Saw a couple of passenger side airbags on welovemgs site. Roughly £25. Don't know if that's good or bad price wise. Don't know how to post a link.

David el gordo
The following user(s) said Thank You: graham1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 5 months ago #181707

I would think fitting second hand airbags or original shelf stored airbags would not be an option now.
According to the MG Rover service sheet, airbag modules should be replaced every fifteen years.
Not saying your airbag will not work if you have a bump, but it cannot be guaranteed.
I don't know of anyone ever replacing an unused airbag either....wouldn't know where to get one from anyhow.
Also I would imagine you would have to take the car to the airbag supplier, being explosive, mailing is not an option.

Sundance

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 5 months ago #181709

Thanks for that Sundance. Plenty to think about in your post.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 5 months ago #181714

These are good well balanced arguments, however if there’s a 50/50 chance of your airbag working then that’s got to be better than no chance at all surely.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 5 months ago #181718

but 100% no chance of it working if it was never fitted.

To be honest the life put on airbags was based on an assumption that they would age but in practice they have been found to be more durable so no one changes them.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 5 months ago #181719

And back on topic............

The most significant thing I've done with my F is to break one of the rear sub frame bolts - helicoil coming up.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 5 months ago #181721

Welding finished on Gerry's F. He referred to it as gorilla welding (really strong but really really ugly) Still it passed M.O.T. The front drivers ball joint was also done as it was advised along with rear bush. . Supposed to be working on the wee motors tonight but i fancy a hurl in the steptronic. It was officially put on the road yesterday

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 5 months ago #181757

Changed left rear Track Control Arm to solve a rear wheel steering problem. All good now.

While I had the tools out and the car in the air, I fitted the MGF Mania 280mm brake upgrade kit. I've done both front and rear on this car (only did the fronts on my last one) and it certainly seems to make a difference.

When I had the MOT in January, I asked the tester for the brake efficiency figures so will ask him again next January. The discs and pads will have bedded in by then and it will be interesting to see what the difference is in braking efficiency between the original 240mm and new 280mm discs.
Robin ;)

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 5 months ago #181762

Put on sorn

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 5 months ago #181769

Nothing, it rained and lying on the ground in the wet to remove a subframe is no fun.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 5 months ago #181786

Started fitting my newly won (bay) MG roll hoops only to find they didn't come with fitting kit sigh but it looks a reasonably easy fabrication of a piece of box section with two flats that come out each end to go under seat belt mountings. Can anybody confirm that is how they are mounted please?

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 5 months ago #181787

Started fitting my newly won (bay) MG roll hoops only to find they didn't come with fitting kit sigh but it looks a reasonably easy fabrication of a piece of box section with two flats that come out each end to go under seat belt mountings. Can anybody confirm that is how they are mounted please?

I won a set of MG Mk.2 hoops off e-bay, local enough to collect at 20 miles away. I didn't get the brackets with mine, the seller did not realise that the brackets were not original parts of the car.
I managed to get in contact with the seller and get him to take them off and I went to collect them.
There is a bit more to the shape of them than you would think.
I would first contact the seller and try to get the proper brackets. If he has sold the car then see if he can get you in contact with the new owner.
If you have to make some brackets, then see if you can find someone with similar hoops who can pop the brackets off for you to size up.
If they are the MK.2 hoops (straight not angled), you have to remove the speakers in the T-Bar and cut slots in the T-Bar trim to get them to fit. They come with a trim cover to hide the slots after.

Sundance

Last edit: Post by SundanceUK. Reason: add pictures
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT