Sign In   Register

Topic

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178243

Changed the oil and filter. Not sure it really needed doing but I've developed a 'tappety' noise at start up which goes away after a couple of minutes idle. I'm hoping that changing the oil may resolve this.

If not I'll be back looking for suggestions!
Robin ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:RE: Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178256

Changed the oil and filter. Not sure it really needed doing but I've developed a 'tappety' noise at start up which goes away after a couple of minutes idle. I'm hoping that changing the oil may resolve this.

If not I'll be back looking for suggestions!

Wynns hydraulic valve treatment, add that to your fresh oil, brilliant stuff the only oil additive I ever use and does what it says on the tin.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178261

Yesterday I managed to remove the seized clutch release arm. Had to cut it inside of the gearbox housing by the help of an angle grinder and levered it out with a pry bar.
Recently waiting for the securing clips of the drive shafts. Than I can start to reassemble the lot.
A view of our carport:

BTW: a big thank to CJJ as I'm following his great how-tos!
Regards
Christof
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178268

Well Yesterday I got my sander out and sanded my osr wheel arch, that little bit that is folded in as it was rusty.
After a good sanding which got rid of 90% of the rust I put on hammerite cure rust which got rid of the rest. I then used hammerite dark green paint [ all most brg ] to finish it off
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 11 months ago #178287

I used Forest Green Hammerite on the subframe for my BRG F.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 10 months ago #178445

Well today I've polished up the fuel filler ring and also had a Phillips fabric shaver delivered so I set to work on the seat centre's. Fuel cap looks great and seats look like new (nearly).

:beer: :beer: Steve

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 10 months ago #178446

Repairs to my Freelander delayed my winter project but I'm finally making progress.
Last year I bought a rare NOS alloy hardtop that Mike Satur discovered in his warehouse
while moving premises. My plan is to mount it on the car for shows. I'll remove the soft top
and fit a lexan panel in place of the engine cover. This should lessen the constant stream of
"How do you work on the engine" questions.
At this point the hardtop is primed, and after a wet sanding will be ready for paint this weekend.
Fingers are crossed that my efforts at bodywork will be acceptable.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 10 months ago #178451

Managed to put the gearbox back to the engine. One hour of try and error by the help of my son Bennet (14 years). Some more jobs to do now (de-rust and paint the gearbox mounting and the rest of the subframe), renew the subframe mounts, renew the slave cylinder and so on. Hope to get her ready until next Saturday for our trip to the Lake District.
But first I'll have to do the night shift (six nights) and work on her every afternoon.
Regards
Christof

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 10 months ago #178514

Passed MoT on Friday. Advisories are as expected, but now it's been checked I can get on to painting the subframes as much as possible while on the car.

Today I've made a new flow restrictor for cooling system, turned an aluminium spacer to fit neatly into the steel coolant rail, hopefully with the coolant it won't corrode.

Now I just need to get a new gasket for inlet manifold and I'm ready to give the car a service, I think I've got everything ready now.

I quite want to fit the x-power exhaust, but might do that later as I'm eyeing up heat insulation options for between exhaust and boot, but not sure I can wait.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 10 months ago #178540

Bought and fitted some new cantrial seals from mgobsession
Attachments:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 10 months ago #178543

Bought and fitted some new cantrial seals from mgobsession

Oooh . ...how much how much?

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 10 months ago #178551

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.

I replaced the ECU coolant temp sensor in the hope of curing the almost constant running rad fan. Also found the wire to the temp gauge plug hanging on by one strand, so renewed that too.
I noticed that the engine bay fan wasn't connected either! Reconnected that and tested it. Working fine!:yesnod:

I've also noticed the fuel consumption figure has dropped to around 33.5 per gallon , so I'm hopeful that the new temp sensor will see that figure improve.:pop:

Update

The car is now averaging just over 40 mpg, doing exactly the same driving runs.:woo2:
Goes to show the improvement a new ecu coolant temp sensor can make!
David
:shrug:

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT