Sign In   Register

Topic

Estate car options 10 years 9 months ago #122921

As Im going back on the tools 2 days a week I need a large estate car..

Most of my work will be domestic heating repairs.. with the odd boiler change.. So wont need to carry tons of kit

I need a diesel..

Need a roof rack or roof bars

Budget is £2-3,000

Im really taken with the looks of the MG ZT-T and the load area seems impressive.. But are they any good?

What other options are there?

I could/should get a van.. but really want an estate car as Im only 2 days a week and insurance will be cheaper
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Estate car options 10 years 9 months ago #122922

Invalid or non-existent item ID.

2004 SKODA OCTAVIA LAUREN KLEMENT DIESEL ESTATE 130 BHP
Completed
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Estate car options 10 years 9 months ago #122923

As you no dought know, the ZTT-T came out of the same stable as the Rover 75, one of which I own.
Apart from some bits and bobs, front grill, badges, suspension etc.
They are the same vehicle, so I can say just how good they are.
Take a peek at the 75 ZTT side of dot org for more in depth questions re the diesel version as mine is petrol.
At the moment these cars are selling well under their true worth, (what cars are not) So some real bargains to be had.

Estate car options 10 years 9 months ago #122924

Our TF is Paula's daily drive.
My daily drive is a Diesel Rover 75 Tourer Conny (with all the toys - Leather - air con - cruise control - loads of extras).
It's basically got the BMW lump under the bonnet so no issues with HGF like you have to watch for on the 1.8 petrols.
It's a great luxurious family car with loads of luggage space, split folding seats (with Skit hatch???) and roof bars.
We've been on many family holidays with it packed to the roof and then some more in the roof box and surfboards. It cruises along the motorways and is very, very comfortable - much better than the Volvo we had before it.

Would be a crying shame to use it as a van though. :(

Last edit: Post by richandpaula.

Estate car options 10 years 9 months ago #122925

I had a ztt diesal for a couple fo years, it was fantastic! However load space is large, but not as large as you would expect from an estate. I struggled to fit a tf subframe in the car without dropping the seats for example

Estate car options 10 years 9 months ago #122934

You would struggle to beat the Octavia David found for running costs or reliability but its not the largest if carrying capacity are important, i use one for a private hire car and I'm near 300,000 and still going strong but it's a tad small as its really a mk4 Golf with a Skoda badge on.

Estate car options 10 years 9 months ago #122976

Volvo V70 :broon: I had one a few year back that made it well into 300,000 miles and still drove great. admittedly they are a bit dull, but it has to have been one of the most comfortable cars I've ever driven and could quite happily have drove it non stop. plus its amazing how much stuff you can fit in and on the roof
Keith
a hammer fixes all

Estate car options 10 years 9 months ago #122978

If it was me, I'd buy something that I didn't care much about. If it is going to be hauling tools and work stuff around, it'll look like a crap heap before you can cough, and I'd rather see that happen to something that has no emotional attachment than something that I might be tempted to give a damn about. I speak as one who drove company cars for years.
Ain't it funny, how time slips away...?

Estate car options 10 years 9 months ago #122981

I would be looking at the Land Rover Discovery. Well made, built to last and tough as old boots with plenty of boot space for tools and spares.

Estate car options 10 years 9 months ago #122987

I would be looking at the Land Rover Discovery. Well made, built to last and tough as old boots with plenty of boot space for tools and spares.

great cars but the fuel economy is terrible and they rot faster than MG's :P . On average I used to get about 25 mpg out of my 300TDI disco, I still loved it though
Keith
a hammer fixes all

Estate car options 10 years 9 months ago #123019

If I got a disco my tools would end up on the road.. Due to the rotted boot floor.. Done the disco thing.. For me personally ill avoid avoid avoid the discos
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Estate car options 10 years 9 months ago #123027

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
A few years back we had an Avensis estate as a pool car at work: despite not being a fan of Jap iron it impressed me for comfort and space. Economical too.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Time to create page: 1.737 seconds