Sign In   Register

Topic

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3674

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X

I think you may be right when you say it has flatted out, what would be the best way to push it back into shape? :)

just an idea, what about a webbing strap and ratchet? put the strap looped around the front of the bonnet from the two edges by the lights curve and slowly ratchet the webbing strap this would put controllable slow steady even pressure where you need it.

edit; if you cant get hold of a ratchet just put a bar thru the webbing and twist in the style of a spanish windlass but be careful, if you let go it is lethal :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3675

• Visitor
  • Visitor

just an idea, what about a webbing strap and ratchet? put the strap looped around the front of the bonnet from the two edges by the lights curve and slowly ratchet the webbing strap this would put controllable slow steady even pressure where you need it.

That is a good idea mate, a great idea in fact! Thanks mate :thumbsup:

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3679

Just two quick thoughts.
Have you tried releasing the screws along the front of the bumper, pull the bumper top forward in the centre. There is adjustment in there.

If you do need to reprofile the curve at the front of the bonnet.
You may need to put a block of some kid under the centre of the bonnet before you pull the edges down. Otherwise you will never get the corners down far enough. As said above, try everything before you resort to bending the bonnet!
David
:shrug:

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3681

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X

Ask and you shall receive:

Taking a look now, it does appear that we simply have not got the bonnet on correctly, as can be seen in the pics, its along almost the whole seam that it sticks up, not just above headlights!

mate looking at your pics against the one in the e bay ad the lights look a different size and shape, maybe the bonnets are not inter changable after all.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350276621530&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3683

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Bit late in the day but Ive been having a difficult time so far.
Enough of the moans:-

Starting at the front and working from below, remove bonnet catch. From a straight edge across the two corners adjacent to the headlights the dimension to the bonnet centre is 35mm.
Working from the top, lay a straight edge across the bonnet between the two corners adjacent to the wings above the headlights. Measuring down at each end the dimensions balance (average) 55mm.

Yours looks too flat compared with this.

Hope this is useful

Mike

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3685

Looking at this again, it does look like the lights are a different shape, however, it doesnt seem to be fouling on the lights? If you want I can go measure the lights on my F and other halves TF?

To me it looks like the front of the bonnet is too flat :dunno:
Angel to Devil in 0.2 seconds...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oi, stop using foul language or I'll give you one!

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3688

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Kara/Frank,

F/TF bonnets are the same fitting.

The spring that secures the bonnet at the front has adjustment.With the bonnet up in the air,inside the spring you will see the bar has a thread for adjustment,you need to slacken off the nut ,and turn the bar probably anti clockwise so the bonnet doesn't catch too early,which appears to be the problem.

Steve

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3689

Hi Kara/Frank,

F/TF bonnets are the same fitting.

The spring that secures the bonnet at the front has adjustment.With the bonnet up in the air,inside the spring you will see the bar has a thread for adjustment,you need to slacken off the nut ,and turn the bar probably anti clockwise so the bonnet doesn't catch too early,which appears to be the problem.

Steve

Ooh snap that's what I said but you articulated it much better! LOL

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3690

Ask and you shall receive:

Taking a look now, it does appear that we simply have not got the bonnet on correctly, as can be seen in the pics, its along almost the whole seam that it sticks up, not just above headlights!

Hmm... now looking at that picture the front of that Bonnet is not standard. It should be the same curve as the top of the bumper - methinks that it has been altered to fit Goldenwheels unique front bumper....

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3692

It isnt GW's bonnet is it? (forgive me if I am wrong there), but I thought that the bumper is Slave's and the bonnet came from down my way....
Angel to Devil in 0.2 seconds...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oi, stop using foul language or I'll give you one!

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3693

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I don't think adjusting the spring is going to help. The bonnet is already hard up against the bumper, so the only way you could adjust it is to move the bonnet away from the bumper which would increase the gap.

If you do go down the bonnet bending route be very careful that you don't crack the filled area etc. I would remove the catch and put something suitable on the slam panel for the bonnet to rest on. Ideally it would be rounded and hold the bonnet a couple of inches higher. Then I would apply steady pressure at both front corners. But this is only what I would do, based on what I have seen. If you are doubtful about it then get a body shop to look at it and give their decision.

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3696

• Visitor
  • Visitor

I don't think adjusting the spring is going to help. The bonnet is already hard up against the bumper, so the only way you could adjust it is to move the bonnet away from the bumper which would increase the gap.

If you do go down the bonnet bending route be very careful that you don't crack the filled area etc. I would remove the catch and put something suitable on the slam panel for the bonnet to rest on. Ideally it would be rounded and hold the bonnet a couple of inches higher. Then I would apply steady pressure at both front corners. But this is only what I would do, based on what I have seen. If you are doubtful about it then get a body shop to look at it and give their decision.

Looking at the pics, I tend to agree.

If you remove the spring assembly on the bonnet,then close the bonnet.You would then tell if the bonnet is buckled.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT