Sign In   Register

Topic

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3639

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Ask and you shall receive:

Taking a look now, it does appear that we simply have not got the bonnet on correctly, as can be seen in the pics, its along almost the whole seam that it sticks up, not just above headlights!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3641

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
How about some pics of the top corners?

The problem you have now is if you move the bonnet down or forward it is going to foul the slam panel. It also looks as though the front of the bonnet doesn't follow the curve of the top of the bumper.

I will try to remember and take some pics of mine tomorrow.

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3642

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Here's one which shows the line of the bonnet and lights. You probably know this, but it might help to compare it to yours. I have since altered the slam panel on the nearside (with a hammer) to make it fit better.

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3643

• Visitor
  • Visitor

How about some pics of the top corners?

The problem you have now is if you move the bonnet down or forward it is going to foul the slam panel. It also looks as though the front of the bonnet doesn't follow the curve of the top of the bumper.

I will try to remember and take some pics of mine tomorrow.

The top corners are sitting flush and in line (the garage is down three flights of stairs!!!! :lol:)

There is some room for manouvreability (sp?) as the vent sits directly above the spare wheel hole so could be moved forward if neccessary (would this bring down the front of the bonnet? :) Also you wouldn't happen to know which bolts should be tightened first, last etc to get that effect? or is it a case of trial and error? :lol:

I noticed the same thing with the line above the bumper, but TBH our old bonnet had the same problem so its not too big a deal :lol:

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3644

• Visitor
  • Visitor

Here's one which shows the line of the bonnet and lights. You probably know this, but it might help to compare it to yours. I have since altered the slam panel on the nearside (with a hammer) to make it fit better.

That is helpful mate :)

Any chance of some hints/tips to getting the front to sit lower? :)

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3646

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
It looks as though the front of your bonnet is too flat.

Take a straight edge and lay it across the front underneath of the bonnet, where it meets the bumper. There should be a gap in the middle where it curves away from the straight eddge. Measure that gap. Now do the same with the bonnet you took off and compare.

It looks as though the very front of the bonnet is hitting the slam panel too early.

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3648

• Visitor
  • Visitor

Take a straight edge and lay it across the front underneath of the bonnet, where it meets the bumper. There should be a gap in the middle where it curves away from the straight eddge. Measure that gap. Now do the same with the bonnet you took off and compare.

It looks as though the very front of the bonnet is hitting the slam panel too early.

You might be onto to something there mate! But when the bonnet is closed there is still some give (as in it has to be pushed down to meet the slam panel so you can pull the boot release so it can open!)

If that is the problem, is there a way to fix it? :)

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3649

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
If you push down gently but heavily on each side do they line up or does it feel like and obstruction. If they line up then you bonnet may be slightly distorted.

Remember, when the panel was fitted a lot of the strengthening beams would have been cut away and the bonnet will flex a lot more. The vent that has been blended in may be flat rather than curved like the bonnet and may be causing the sides to lift.

This is only speculation as it is difficult to diagnose from afar.

If this is the case you could see a bodyshop and see if they can put the bend back into the front of the bonnet, or you could fit bonnet pins at the corners which would effectively hold the edges down inline with the wings.

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3650

• kara's Avatar Topic Author
  • kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer

If you push down gently but heavily on each side do they line up or does it feel like and obstruction. If they line up then you bonnet may be slightly distorted.

Remember, when the panel was fitted a lot of the strengthening beams would have been cut away and the bonnet will flex a lot more. The vent that has been blended in may be flat rather than curved like the bonnet and may be causing the sides to lift.

This is only speculation as it is difficult to diagnose from afar.

If this is the case you could see a bodyshop and see if they can put the bend back into the front of the bonnet, or you could fit bonnet pins at the corners which would effectively hold the edges down inline with the wings.

Thank you mate! Frank's given up & gone to bed bless him! :lol:

We'll give it another go in the morning!

Kara x

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3652

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
A lot of strength is lost when these conversions are done. If the bonnet was transported on its back etc it may have "flattened out" a bit.

If this is the case then all is not lost as it should be fairly easy to bend it back into shape, but be very careful and gentle as any filler etc around the vent will not be flexible and may crack.

I would investigate everything else first.

From the pics though it looks as though the front of the bonnet has already met the bumper and could not go any further, yet the outside edges have some way to go, this is how I came to my conclusion.

The only other possibility is that your slam panel is too curved, but I cannot see how that could have happened, so the bonnet is the suspect.

Is there much flex in the bonnet? Is it more floppy than the other one?

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3653

• Visitor
  • Visitor

Yup! Two minds and all that.
Ive been outside trying to measure the curvature in my F but it is too dark to get anywhere accurate.
I'll try again in the morning, at least you should have a comparison.
Plus you should check the curve on your old bonnet.

Mike

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3662

• Visitor
  • Visitor

A lot of strength is lost when these conversions are done. If the bonnet was transported on its back etc it may have "flattened out" a bit.

If this is the case then all is not lost as it should be fairly easy to bend it back into shape, but be very careful and gentle as any filler etc around the vent will not be flexible and may crack.

I would investigate everything else first.

From the pics though it looks as though the front of the bonnet has already met the bumper and could not go any further, yet the outside edges have some way to go, this is how I came to my conclusion.

The only other possibility is that your slam panel is too curved, but I cannot see how that could have happened, so the bonnet is the suspect.

Is there much flex in the bonnet? Is it more floppy than the other one?

Back awake and raring to go! :thumbsup:

The new bonnet doesn't feel particularly floppy or lighter or much more flexible then the old one! Though I did notice some give when pusing down on the corners.

I think you may be right when you say it has flatted out, what would be the best way to push it back into shape? :)

We're gonna go down in a bit and try all else first just in case though :)

Thanks mate!

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT