Sign In   Register

Topic

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3610

Well Frank removed the striker spring/unit all together and it did make it sit a teeny bit lower but still not flush with the wings. Ok I hate to ast this but if it's buckled what can be done? :frown:

The trouble is the pic of it on the ebay listing showed it fitting completely fine so not sure why it's not fitting the same on Slave!

Can you see what its resting on? What is actually stopping it fit? Does the bonnet need to move back or forward or the hinge end need to be lifted or dropped?
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3615

• Visitor
  • Visitor

Can you see what its resting on? What is actually stopping it fit? Does the bonnet need to move back or forward or the hinge end need to be lifted or dropped?

TBH no I can't! Its a custom bonnet so I have no idea if the previous owner made any mods to under the bonnet to make it fit, I have emailed the seller to ask but if anything is holding it up it would be something to do with the headlights because thats where the problem is :dunno: I tried moving the bonnet up, down, left, right and everything on the hinges to try and make it fit and the best I got was it sitting slightly better (as in a half inch gap instead of an inch :lol:)

Heres a link to the auction, as you can see it fits fine:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350276621530&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I am confused :lol:

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3620

TBH no I can't! Its a custom bonnet so I have no idea if the previous owner made any mods to under the bonnet to make it fit, I have emailed the seller to ask but if anything is holding it up it would be something to do with the headlights because thats where the problem is :dunno: I tried moving the bonnet up, down, left, right and everything on the hinges to try and make it fit and the best I got was it sitting slightly better (as in a half inch gap instead of an inch :lol:)

Heres a link to the auction, as you can see it fits fine:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350276621530&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I am confused :lol:

Ahhh! Could the vent be sitting on the spare wheel or the slam panel?
David

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3624

• Visitor
  • Visitor

Ahhh! Could the vent be sitting on the spare wheel or the slam panel?

Had exactly the same thought (well Kara did!) and we took the spare wheel out to no effect :frown: and it is a little too far back for the slam panel.

The weird thing is, is that it fits almost perfectly on the front bumper line, its just above the headlights where the problem occurs :confused:

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3625

I wonder if the donor car was previously repaired following a shunt and the bonnet needed some slight 'adjustment' to fit.......hopefully not though, as said above I don't think there is any difference between an F and TF bonnet.
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3626

Had exactly the same thought (well Kara did!) and we took the spare wheel out to no effect :frown: and it is a little too far back for the slam panel.

The weird thing is, is that it fits almost perfectly on the front bumper line, its just above the headlights where the problem occurs :confused:

Well, sorry but that's me out of ideas.
BTW, do you want a profile pic?
David

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3627

• Visitor
  • Visitor

Well, sorry but that's me out of ideas.
BTW, do you want a profile pic?

Thanks for trying mate :cheers2:

:lol: I think the one I already have is horrific enough!!! :prometheus:

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3630

I had a read through the thread again and had a look at the ebay link, just some random suggestions -

My MGF has a larger ABS unit than the TF - could the custom vent be touching your ABS unit (assuming you have ABS) or touching a horn (2 on the F, generally 1 on the TF) or touching the fuse box and stuff on the passenger wing, or touching the battery.

Try placing the bonnet on the car without attaching to the hinges and with the striker removed - see how it fits, or whats causing the problem..........pity you are so far away:(
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3632

• Visitor
  • Visitor

I had a read through the thread again and had a look at the ebay link, just some random suggestions -

My MGF has a larger ABS unit than the TF - could the custom vent be touching your ABS unit (assuming you have ABS) or touching a horn (2 on the F, generally 1 on the TF) or touching the fuse box and stuff on the passenger wing, or touching the battery.

Try placing the bonnet on the car without attaching to the hinges and with the striker removed - see how it fits, or whats causing the problem..........pity you are so far away:(

Some really good suggestions there mate, thank you! :) We'll give them a go tomorrow :yesnod:

And, yes, it is a pity, could do with some hands-on help with this one :lol:

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3633

• kara's Avatar Topic Author
  • kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer

That's sound advice hun! Thank you! We don't have abs but it is sitting slightly higher on the left which could indicate it's hitting the horns. Oooh I want to go and have a play now! :lol:

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3635

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Pictures would be a real help.

You could try painting or sticking something like tin foil under the bonnet, closing it, then opening it and seing if anything has deformed or marked the tin foil, then you would know the area responsible.

I think if the bonnet was buckled you would see it as the bonnet line would not look natural.

I have never tried it, but I have always been lead to believe that both bonnets are the same.

Is there any build up under the bonnet, like fibreglass etc, that could be fouling?

Mine clears the spare wheel, slam panel etc and I think the vent is further forward than yours.

Lets have some pics.

Heeeelp!!!!!!!!! Bonnet problems!!!!!!! 14 years 5 months ago #3636

• kara's Avatar Topic Author
  • kara
  • Senior MGer
  • Senior MGer
Ok Frank's gone down to the garage to take some pics! :)

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT