Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

First Weekend With My MGF 13 years 2 months ago #21803

After waiting 2 1/2 months for my MGF to arrive from the UK it's finally here. I got a permit to drive it home and now I'm in the process of getting it ready for it's Provincial licensing inspection. This weekend was sort of a good news-bad news period. I got the mandatory Daytime Running Light module installed and mounted clear indicators and Lexus-type taillights. I also installed the snazzy flag badges on the front wings.
I am happy with the condition of the car, The interior is excellent, and the body and paint are in good shape apart from a little rust in the rear wing doglegs and some damage where a previous owner apparently had an "Incident" with the jack. The L/R wheel must have got stuck on the hub as the wheel has been badly beaten with a tire iron and the lip on the bottom of the wing is badly bent where the car must have fallen off the jack. Maybe that's why the car was sold! The sheet metal shouldn't be too hard to sort out but unfortunately the wheel is unrepairable. Mechanically the car seems very good although I have only driven it on the 25 mile trip home from the Customs shed. The only mechanical problems I have come across so far are a deflated suspension. I have one of the grease gun pumps on the way to hopefully sort that out. I am hoping the problem was caused by 2 months of -20 to -40 temperatures on the ship/train here. The other problem is is rusty and grooved brake rotors. It will cost me a bundle to have them UPS'd here.. I can't get the car approved till I sort out the brakes so it will have to be UPS. The weather was beautiful here today and I really, really wanted to get the car out.:(
I'm hoping that no other snags turn up. The coolant is nice and clear and the temp is where it should be so I am keeping my fingers crossed on that count!

Cheers,
Rich

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Rich in Vancouver.

Re: First Weekend With My MGF 13 years 2 months ago #21804

Bet you can't wait to get out and drive her.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: First Weekend With My MGF 13 years 2 months ago #21807

Looking good, shame about the wheel though.:yesnod:
What type of wheel is it? Somebody may have one lying around.:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Re: First Weekend With My MGF 13 years 2 months ago #21816

I would rather be driving the MGF than my old TR7. The F really shows how much better cars got in the 20 years between 1975 and 1995.
I shouldn't have any trouble getting a wheel. It's just a standard six spoke MPi wheel. The catch is finding someone willing to box one up and ship it over here.

Re: First Weekend With My MGF 13 years 2 months ago #21819

I would rather be driving the MGF than my old TR7. The F really shows how much better cars got in the 20 years between 1975 and 1995.
I shouldn't have any trouble getting a wheel. It's just a standard six spoke MPi wheel. The catch is finding someone willing to box one up and ship it over here.

When you find someone Rich tell them to try 'www.interparcel.com' - I've used them many times and they get you access to some courier deals only available to corporate users.... worth a try to save money!

Re: First Weekend With My MGF 13 years 2 months ago #21822

Its a good looking car so far,

I think 90% have the jack sill damage, normally from people using a trolley jack instead of the supplied one, trolley jacks are better off being used on the sub frame jacking points

The dics may clean up after a few miles I would have thought that the weather we had a few months ago wouldn't have helped, try driving while pressing the brakes a bit but dont go mad just little and often
Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Re: First Weekend With My MGF 13 years 2 months ago #21830

Try MGF Centre www.mgfcentre.com they sell used refurbished wheels at good prices and ask for a shipping cost. you could also try Brown & Gammons i think the are also good for MGF wheels.

The difficulty in removing the wheels on Fs & TFs is a common problem (but should not be belted with a steel bar) use copper grease on the inside of the wheel where it fits onto the drive flange.

As Jon has said, it is worth trying to clean up the existing discs, if the carriage on new ones is so high.

it looks a lovely car for its age. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Re: First Weekend With My MGF 13 years 2 months ago #21831

What with the car sitting on the dealer's lot then spending 2 months in transit I expected rust on the discs but there is also fairly deep grooving. Deep enough that they would fail the inspection. Looking on the positive side, if I am going to pay shipping on discs and pads I am going to use that to justify going for EBC parts. After all they all weigh the same.
As I also have to replace the tires the temptation is there to go with 16" and Trophy front brakes but the money just isn't there.
Those bits will have to wait till next time!

I can just imagine the frustration of the previous owner frying to deal with a flat at the side of the road, probably in the dark in the pouring rain, and the wheel not wanting to come off, then hitting the wheel out of sheer desparation. Poor sod!
I understand there is a spray product that will prevent the wheel welding to the hub. I'd rather not use copper-slip as that stuff gets everywhere!

Cheers,
Rich

Re: First Weekend With My MGF 13 years 2 months ago #21834

What with the car sitting on the dealer's lot then spending 2 months in transit I expected rust on the discs but there is also fairly deep grooving. Deep enough that they would fail the inspection. Looking on the positive side, if I am going to pay shipping on discs and pads I am going to use that to justify going for EBC parts. After all they all weigh the same.
As I also have to replace the tires the temptation is there to go with 16" and Trophy front brakes but the money just isn't there.
Those bits will have to wait till next time!

I can just imagine the frustration of the previous owner frying to deal with a flat at the side of the road, probably in the dark in the pouring rain, and the wheel not wanting to come off, then hitting the wheel out of sheer desparation. Poor sod!
I understand there is a spray product that will prevent the wheel welding to the hub. I'd rather not use copper-slip as that stuff gets everywhere!

Cheers,
Rich

I agree with EBC brake parts and as you say they all weigh the same. I have been using Comma copper grease for many years on the back of disc pads on the inside of wheels and on the studs, it is a very thick paste and doesent go everywhere!! also use it on battery terminals and bonnet catch. The others i have tried are rubbish, thin and runny and Copper Ease spray i chucked away because it went everywhere where it was no supposed to. Good luck with getting the other wheels off.
i liked the picture you painted of the poor sod changing the wheel :whistle:

Re: First Weekend With My MGF 13 years 2 months ago #21850

I was fantasizing about David's big brake kit but realistically it's not in the budget (Neither is the EBC but I have to put something on the car!)
Here's a pic of the abused wheel. Just imagine the desperation!
You can see the grooving on the disc too.

By the way, if anyone has an extra wheel in their shed that they would be willing to pack up and UPS to me please let me know. I would rather send the money (Paypal) to a forum member than a business.

Cheers,
Rich

Re: First Weekend With My MGF 13 years 2 months ago #21854

I was fantasizing about David's big brake kit but realistically it's not in the budget (Neither is the EBC but I have to put something on the car!)

By the way, if anyone has an extra wheel in their shed that they would be willing to pack up and UPS to me please let me know. I would rather send the money (Paypal) to a forum member than a business.

Cheers,
Rich

I would just refurb that wheel to be honest.
I do my own, and if you're any good with filler, you can fill and sand and then get the paint- it's Silver Sparkle (MNH).

Assuming you can get it off of course.:lol:
David
:shrug:

Re: First Weekend With My MGF 13 years 2 months ago #21861

Cheers,
Rich

I too would refurbish that wheel myself, i thought that it had been mullered on the inside rim by someone hitting it with a tyre lever and knocking chunks out, the dents in the front will fill and spray over.
The MG owners Club spares are selling EBC discs & Greenstuff pads at the moment for good prices although i understand that you can buy from EBC direct . MGOC Spares is at www.mgocspares.co.uk
:woohoo:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT