Sign In   Register

Topic

Wife problem! 6 years 8 months ago #179601

Right chaps, my wife has recently expressed an interest in driving my F, now she first mentioned this shortly after I bought it almost two years ago, but I have so far thwarted her attempts with tales of head gasket failure, dodgy brakes water leaks, jamming hoods etc etc.
The other day she pointed out that if the car is so bad why have I still got it, and how come I drive it. My wife is no mug she does have a Masters degree which apparently makes her more intelligent then me which is fine I'm not going to argue.
Her car, sorry our other car is a newish Volvo, totally different to the MGF, its a nice, safe car that's why we got it; so I know she is relatively safe driving it, and other road users tend to treat Volvo drivers with caution which is also good.
She also knows that she is insured to drive it which is my mistake. Its not that I'm selfish or sexist, I just don't think she is up to it, she is also a crap driver in my humble opinion. Despite my attempts to improve her road awareness on the few occasions I am a passenger in the Volvo, by pointing out potential hazards like pedestrians, other cars, bridges, central reservation barriers, potholes etc. she still wants to drive the f.
She will win in the end, she always does!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wife problem! 6 years 8 months ago #179606

My wife knows everything,she is always right and never wrong.When we go out she always drives from the passenger side and argues with the sat nav,I just sit back and let her carry on.I had a hearing test in spec savers and I've lost 25% of my hearing,I was asked if I wanted to restore that,I told them no way.Just tell my wife my hearing isn't what it was.
The result I can ignore her when ever I feel like.And that also includes the mother in law.

Wife problem! 6 years 8 months ago #179609

You do know, that a woman will always have the last word in any argument..............................any subsequent words said by the male is the start of a whole new argument! :spank: :bust:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Wife problem! 6 years 8 months ago #179616

Interesting realy. In any argument my word is the last one: Yes dear!

Wife problem! 6 years 8 months ago #179624

I'm the boss in my house because I have her permission.

:beer: :beer: Steve

Wife problem! 6 years 8 months ago #179642

Here's what happens when you let your other half drive your car.
My girlfriend borrowed mine for the day as her car was a MPV and I was helping her daughter move out.
It was only a mile and a half journey, but she was unaware how best to drive a rear wheel drive sports car on wet roads. The leaves on the ground did not help either, it was late October.
Fortunately I was able to repair the damage myself and avoid an insurance claim, but it still cost me £800 to put my car back on the road.
If she does drive it, make sure she is competent enough with the handling, have a sit in with her, have a drive and see how she is.
Don't want her to end up like the lady in my other post - One less F on the road!

Sundance

Wife problem! 6 years 8 months ago #179651

Originally my tf was bought for my girlfriend has her second car...she complained about the clutch being stiff..sell the car she said...bog off I said I'll have it myself for a hobby....she recently asked if the clutch was still stiff...I replied rock solid..but I'm used to hard clutches owning landrovers..so I'm safe to call it my own...

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Wife problem! 6 years 8 months ago #179660

Thank you, that's a good one, I've already had a bit of a moan about the clutch playing up; so should buy me a bit of time to get me into Autumn then she won't be interested again at least until the following Spring. :woohoo:
I showed her that picture of the F in the ditch Sundance, and she hasn't mentioned driving it since so fingers crossed.

Wife problem! 6 years 8 months ago #179671

One way to stop the wife driving the mg is to let the girlfriend have it for a week.:bat:

Wife problem! 6 years 8 months ago #180016

Not sure I could cope with a girlfriend,.... what between work, home, daughters, wife, sleep, MG,s where would I find the time? Anyway If I could I doubt if she could have it for a week, not at my age.;)

Wife problem! 6 years 8 months ago #180021

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Sue is the reason that we have our little blue Brummie friend. She saw it and juuuuust had to have it.
From her point of view it is a magical, mystical entity: it washes and hoovers itself, self-fills with fuel and also repairs itself when broken. :whistle:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Wife problem! 6 years 7 months ago #180187

When we first met in 2001 my wife was studying for her MBA and she was looking for a reward for herself when she completed it.

She fancied an Alfa Spider and had never heard of the MGF, to be fair she had moved out of the UK in '96 and was a non qualified driver.
I persuaded her that she would like a BRG MGF VVC and bought her a 1/43 model from the MG club premises near Cambridge.

Roll forward a few years and we moved in together, she completed her MBA, passed her driving test and we had got married.
While she was visiting her mum back home (for her) in Spain I bought us (her) the mk1 we still have.

She has heard plenty of horror stories about F's spinning in the wet she is ultra cautious, even in the dry and prefers to drive her ZR160 anyway. She hates the ZS but less than the mk1 ZS I had and given the choice will let me drive so if every she asks to drive she's given the keys before she's finished asking.

Being a former driving instructor I know how to hold my tongue and "ignore" what she's doing but she still thinks I'm watching so would rather I drive.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keymaster

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT