Sign In   Register

Topic

MGF just won't start 8 years 2 weeks ago #167071

I have acquired a 1995 MGF that hasn't moved in 8 years with the intent of returning it to its former glory.... I have had it tested and no fault codes were showing up, but it wasn't getting fuel or a spark. I have replaced fuel pump and checked injectors (all now working). I replaced crank sensor, coil, distributor cap, leads and plugs (strong spark now). It tries to start for about a second then dies, but just won't bite. I sprayed easy start into the air inlet and it started immediately, but died again within seconds. Are there any techies out there with any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF just won't start 8 years 2 weeks ago #167073

My first thought is immobiliser.

What did you scan it with.
Might be worth a scan with a www.pscan.eu .

Where are you?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MGFnoob

MGF just won't start 8 years 2 weeks ago #167074

there is nice fresh petrol in the tank....isnt their? :yesnod:

MGF just won't start 8 years 2 weeks ago #167076

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
Firstly, is the fuel fresh? or is it the same stuff that was in it 8yrs ago when it was parked up?
Fuel is not a single malt whisky, it doesn't improve with age, instead fuel looses octane and gets to the state where you can't even light up a bucket of the stuff with a match!
drain the tank as best you can, using a siphon and fill the tank with fresh fuel, the fresh stuff will dilute the old stuff enough for it not to matter much.
Stale fuel, also leaves a varnish of deposits in the fuel system, so I'd be replacing the fuel filter too, as that could be blocked with the crap.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak, MGFnoob

MGF just won't start 8 years 2 weeks ago #167077

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm based near Belfast. The electrician used two separate computers to scan it and couldn't find anything. I'm not sure of the type. Ive reset the immobiliser with the EKA code and it seems to be working (as far as I can tell). Could it be timing related?

MGF just won't start 8 years 2 weeks ago #167078

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
As to it being timing, unless the reason it was parked up was the timing, It's unlikely unless of course the distributor has been removed or turned with all the mucking about.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

MGF just won't start 8 years 2 weeks ago #167079

Thanks Cobbler and Blue streak, there was some fuel in the tank. I've added a few pounds into the tank to try to dilute it, and also added fuel treatment. You may be right, maybe there ain't enough alcohol in the whiskey. I have changed the filter. I'll try to siphon it and replace it with new fuel and see how that goes. Fingers crossed

MGF just won't start 8 years 2 weeks ago #167081

It wasn't parked up because of the timing. It had (apparently) been driving fine and just stopped when the driver arrived home. She had it tested and couldn't find any problem. She put it in a barn and that's where it stayed. I'll rule the timing out. Thanks Cobber

MGF just won't start 8 years 1 week ago #167083

Uncouple the fuel feed pipe connector at the inlet manifold, put the uncoupled end into a clean jar/bottle, ignition on and crank the engine, the electric fuel pump (which is inside the fuel tank) should for a couple of seconds when you switch on the ignition then stop, then run again when you crank the engine with the starter or when the engine is running (+500rpm)

If you have a spark and the fuel pump is running when cranking then there is no immobiliser issue, however as the above posts check the fuel quality, if you suspect the fuel to be stale then bridge the fuel pump relay and empty the tank at the fuel line coupling as above, you can put a piece of garden hose over the coupling and tape it up, and the other end into a drum. In one minute the fuel pump will move about 5 litres, so it won't take long to empty even if the tank is quite full.

You would need to put at least 10 litres of fresh fuel back into the tank to dilute an stale residue left behind.

With a spark and fresh fuel she should run, it would be very unlikely to be timing related if the car has just been stood, if she still won't start the next thing I would try is a compression test (for a petrol engine to start you need over 80psi) If the compression is low it could be because car has been stood for a long period and some valve seats may have surface rust, this may be where you will lose compression. If this is the case remove the plugs and put 5mls of engine oil into each cylinder, still with the plugs out crank the engine for 10 seconds or so, this will put a coating of oil on the valve seats and help raise the compression, re-fit the plugs and give it a try. Once the engine has started let it tick over and warm up, this will clean the valve seats.

If you get her running after being stood for 8 years the next job is a new timing belt. Do this before you give her any high revs or the put the engine under load, the belt will be deformed with being sat in the same position for such a long time. Same goes for the tyres unless she has been on blocks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, mgtfbluestreak, mgtftone, MGFnoob

MGF just won't start 8 years 1 week ago #167091

Thanks Badger. That's great advice. I'll do this later and let you all know. Hopefully just bad fuel

MGF just won't start 8 years 1 week ago #167092

Thanks Badger. That's great advice. I'll do this later and let you all know. Hopefully just bad fuel

Awesome, isn't he! :yesnod:

Good luck. :broon:

MGF just won't start 8 years 1 week ago #167093

There Is normally a provision for checking the fuel rail pressure via Schrader type valve on the rail.
If it's not the fuel Id suspect a relay or fuel pressure regulator gummed with stale fuel.
Totally different car but I have an identical problem on a Merc A class ex father in law's that's grown roots on my drive

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT