Sign In   Register

Topic

MGF just won't start 7 years 11 months ago #168928

Thanks Hammy. It was driving me clinically insane for a while. This forum is my intervention lol..... I've taken the fuel rail out and set a tissue in front of each injector. They all seem to be spraying. I wouldn't say a fine mist, but they are working. It's strange that it is initially trying to start then turns over for ages before firing

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF just won't start 7 years 11 months ago #168931

Good man :)

Hmm, have you taken the plugs out and done a compression test? Beginning to sound like a compression problem... valves, piston rings, hg....

Assuming you checked spark plugs and or dodgy coil pack...
The following user(s) said Thank You: MGFnoob

MGF just won't start 7 years 11 months ago #168940

I've done compression test. It was fine. I've replaced plugs, coil, leads, cap, crank sensor. When I initially got it started it ran fine. I ran it until the thermostat and fan kicked in. The next day is when the long cranking started. Maybe it could be head gasket related!?! I thought idle air control valve, but was unsure how to test it

MGF just won't start 7 years 11 months ago #168941

What starting procedure are you using?
David
:shrug:

MGF just won't start 7 years 11 months ago #168945

Hi David. I turn the key until I hear the fuel pump prime. Then turn the key fully until the engine cranks. It initially try's to start for a second, then turns over for about 8-10 seconds. Then fires up... After this it runs for a while before starving itself of fuel and stuttering to a stop. When I restart I get the same symptoms most times.

MGF just won't start 7 years 11 months ago #168946

Not touching the throttle pedal?
It should just start by turning the key to start position straight away. No need to wait for the pump.
It probably won't make a scrap of difference, but I'm running out of ideas! :P
David

MGF just won't start 7 years 11 months ago #168949

I've tried both pushing the pedal and not touching it. Same outcome both ways. It has to be a dodgy sensor as the mechanical side of things have all been replaced.
Thanks David

MGF just won't start 7 years 11 months ago #168952

Try disconnecting the rubber pipe from the throttle body to the IACV. Get someone to turn the ignition to position 2. You should be able to make out the piston moving inside the IACV. You may need a torch. If it's not moving or hardly moving it could be gunked up. Or knackered. You should have the older type valve fitted wbich allows disassembly.:shrug:
David

MGF just won't start 7 years 11 months ago #168954

Check out this HOW TO
David

MGF just won't start 7 years 11 months ago #168962

Thanks David. It was indeed sticking. I took it apart, cleaned it and now seems to have solved the problem. It now only takes 3-4 seconds to start.

This forum is a life saver!
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, talkingcars, cairnsys

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT