Sign In   Register

Topic

MGF just won't start 8 years 1 week ago #167347

Just a wild stab in the dark, to get ignition you need fuel, spark and oxygen, if you have a strong spark and plenty of fuel, then have you got enough air going into the cylinders?

I have the air filter housing removed. I presume it's getting plenty of air. It starts when a little easy start or carb cleaner is squirted in. It just won't stay running. I can throttle it for a few seconds before it dies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF just won't start 8 years 1 week ago #167348

Could it be over fuelling and flooding, when you try and throttle it?
Regards

Chris
If your going to have one, Have a big one!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MGFnoob

MGF just won't start 8 years 1 week ago #167351

It could be overfueling. It is something that has crossed my mind. The plugs are definitely getting wet. Thanks idrawcad

MGF just won't start 8 years 1 week ago #167369

Try a set of new plugs and with the throttle wide open turn the key and keep cranking til it clears. The cat won't like it but it sounds like there's plenty of fuel thro' it anyway.
Don't pump the throttle the ECU simply squirts more fuel in at each pump.
This works when the engine is totally flooded

Last edit: Post by Ian S. Reason: Added

MGF just won't start 8 years 1 week ago #167370

Hi . I have been following this with interest as have most of the knowledgeable guys on here. I once dealt with an Astra GTE that had this problem in reverse in that it would start from cold and run fine .Take it for a run and once warmed up would start to cough and splutter to a halt . It was traced after what seemed like an age to the coolant thermistor switch which bizarrely was working in reverse , telling the engine management to give full fuel enrichment when the engine was at normal running. It might be a million miles from the fault but may be worth trying a different switch.

John .

MGF just won't start 8 years 1 week ago #167371

Just off the cuff but try the coil packs. Had a car once with exactly the same issue and it turned out to be the secondary windings in the coil breaking down when power passing through them.

MGF just won't start 8 years 1 week ago #167376

I have replaced the plugs and tried this. It is trying to start, then dies after a second or two.
I've replaced the coil and the spark is strong. It starts and runs for about 5 or 6 seconds with a squirt of easy start and the throttle open.
Thanks Ian and Smeg. I am at the point were I may have to try another coil and plugs as I'm running out of options, and it has to be something obvious.

MGF just won't start 8 years 1 week ago #167377

Hi . I have been following this with interest as have most of the knowledgeable guys on here. I once dealt with an Astra GTE that had this problem in reverse in that it would start from cold and run fine .Take it for a run and once warmed up would start to cough and splutter to a halt . It was traced after what seemed like an age to the coolant thermistor switch which bizarrely was working in reverse , telling the engine management to give full fuel enrichment when the engine was at normal running. It might be a million miles from the fault but may be worth trying a different switch.

John .

It's definitely worth looking at. It could indeed ultimately be a switch, or sensor breaking down but not enough for the computer to give a fault code. I have the timing belt off at the minute and of course I've picked up the wrong part! I have to get another before trying anything new.
Thanks John.

MGF just won't start 7 years 11 months ago #167713

UPDATE- I've been away for a few days holiday and obviously spent the whole time away obsessing over my non starter. My poor wife!

Got back and straight into the garage, turned the key and no fuel pump priming. It was just dead. I thought maybe engine management relay module. After checking it turns out to be the fuel pump. It's stopped completely. Makes me wonder if this has been my problem the whole time. This is a second hand pump from the scrap yard. The second one I've sourced. The first one was seized when I tested it.

I'm reluctant to put another used one in. Can anyone advise me on where I can source a brand new one please?

MGF just won't start 7 years 11 months ago #167714

You'd need to confirm the actual part needed but Browns and Gammons click click . They also have brand new ones at £386 :omg:

Rimmer Brothers click click . Also have OEM at about £246 or with tank for £550 :omg: :omg:

or there's any number on eBay - some with warranties
Robin ;)

Last edit: Post by cairnsys.

MGF just won't start 7 years 11 months ago #167715

couldnt stop thinking about this post............at work i finished reconditioning a mercedes v6 diesel around 10 litres or so..........i fitted it into the coach and it started on the key instantly............ran the engine for over an hour or more and the all clear was given for a test run......off we went and the engine just stopped on its return journey...........weighing in at around 13 tonnes......it wasnt a vehicle you could just push .........time was of the escence has when these motors break down the air drops and the brakes come on.......managed to get a tow from a earth mover working on site...........two different..electric wizzards been out after we did all the mechanical checks.......but no joy......she runs on easy start and was running as sweet as a nut.before she stopped :bang: :bang: ...........

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

MGF just won't start 7 years 11 months ago #167716

try MGFnTF BITZ thet are in Glossop Derbyshire 01457 238202 or 07854 547722 They have hundreds of spares for mgfs and tfs

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT