Sign In   Register

Topic

MGF just won't start 8 years 3 weeks ago #167292

I'd 'phone a friend'...........Russell's your man! :broon:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, MGFnoob

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF just won't start 8 years 3 weeks ago #167293

There is no cam sensor on a 1995 MGF; it has a distributor cap and rotor.

That must be why I can't find it then. I thought I was going mad. Thanks for that. 1 more thing to cross off the list of possible malfunctions!

MGF just won't start 8 years 3 weeks ago #167295

I feel that I am really close bluestreak. It has to be something! I'm going to be the go too guy for broken MG's very soon lol.

It's a process of elimination....

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

By the time you have got the mgf started you will know everything about them.......you will be able to go on who wants to be a millionaire.................and the million pound question is.....................

:clap: very funny indeed lol

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

MGF just won't start 8 years 3 weeks ago #167317

There is no cam sensor on a 1995 MGF; it has a distributor cap and rotor.

That must be why I can't find it then. I thought I was going mad. Thanks for that. 1 more thing to cross off the list of possible malfunctions!

Oh, you may very well be going mad, but at least you can stop searching for the non-existent cam sensor :broon:
Mark
95 MGF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

MGF just won't start 8 years 3 weeks ago #167330

HERE IS MY LATEST UPDATE........
*Compression tested. All 4 cylinders are 120 (whatever that means).
*Timing is correct.
*Auto spark says there are no faults on the electrical side of things. (It's been tested several times on different computers.)
*It's sparking when it should, and the spark is strong
*the inertia switch was bypassed and checked
*the engine is trying to fire, then dying after a second on two.
This has to be fuel related (in my entirely amateur opinion). I'm saying this as when it gets a wee squirtcarb cleaner it starts (and sounds beautiful). It can then be throttled for a very short time 5 or 6 seconds, before dying.
BUT, I've replaced the fuel pump with one from the scrapper. The fuel pressure is strong. The pump starts when the ignition is turned. It then stops when The system is pressurised. The pump starts again when the key is fully turned with good pressure. (I have not had this pressure tested with any kind of tool)
*The fuel rail is getting fuel
*all fuel injectors are working correctly.

Could this be a problem in the injector system? Is it worth removing the inlet manifold and cleaning it?

MGF just won't start 8 years 3 weeks ago #167332

Hey fred im scratching my head what to do next?.......the f***** still wont start!..............maybe tow it up the road and drop it in gear??????????

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MGFnoob

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

MGF just won't start 8 years 3 weeks ago #167333

It is definitely fuel related.for some reason the fuel isn't getting into the cylinders.
Everything else is good and it starts and runs on easy start.

Yet you reckon the injectors are working and fuel is getting to the fuel rail. It's a mystery. It really is,

Have you changed the fuel filter in case there is a restriction /partly blocked filter?
David
:shrug:

MGF just won't start 8 years 3 weeks ago #167338

Hey fred im scratching my head what to do next?.......the f***** still wont start!..............maybe tow it up the road and drop it in gear??????????

I can't. No mot or tax. Plus, I have a seized clutch bearing, need a brake overhaul and discs need skimmed too! Jobs jobs jobs!

MGF just won't start 8 years 3 weeks ago #167339

I'm not sure that I can help much here because it sounds like you've checked just about everything!

But I've had a look on some software that I've 'acquired' and the order of things to check when the engine starts and then stops is as follows

Fuel lines leaks/damage/blockage
Throttle valve sticking/linkage
Idle air control valve
Air intake system/vacuum system - leaks
Engine control management unit

Sorry I can't offer how to go about checking these though there may be further info on the Iacv and ecm. Yes there is - screenshots attached

Robin ;)
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by cairnsys.

MGF just won't start 8 years 3 weeks ago #167340

It is definitely fuel related.for some reason the fuel isn't getting into the cylinders.
Everything else is good and it starts and runs on easy start.

Yet you reckon the injectors are working and fuel is getting to the fuel rail. It's a mystery. It really is,

Have you changed the fuel filter in case there is a restriction /partly blocked filter?

Fuel filter is new. Fuel is getting to the cylinders it's just not igniting. When I took off the exhaust downpipe and turned it over all I could smell was petrol. I'm going to check breathers, fuel pipes/rail and injectors again. It has to be something I'm missing...... I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination...... I will be by the end of this project tho! Lol

MGF just won't start 8 years 3 weeks ago #167341

Thanks cairnsys
I'll definitely be going over everything again

MGF just won't start 8 years 3 weeks ago #167345

Just a wild stab in the dark, to get ignition you need fuel, spark and oxygen, if you have a strong spark and plenty of fuel, then have you got enough air going into the cylinders?
Regards

Chris
If your going to have one, Have a big one!

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT